Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
Hoyt Spyder 34 - Like Cheating >

Hoyt Spyder 34 - Like Cheating

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Hoyt Spyder 34 - Like Cheating

Old 11-01-2013, 06:33 AM
Spike

Default Hoyt Spyder 34 - Like Cheating

After a few years of using trad archery equipment I purchased a Hoyt Spyder 34. After a total of 38 minutes, I figured out that you compound bow guys and gals are cheating.

38 minutes after picking up the bow I shot fist size groups three rounds in a row at 20 yards. That included lining up the knocks, tweaking the rest, AND adjusting the sights.

Hokey smokes. This is like using a short range gun. I might as well have a scope mounted on this thing.

The last compound bow that I purchased was a top of the line Browning. At the time I thought that was such a great bow. But I am sure that I didn't dial that thing in that fast.

I am not sure if I am going to take the bow out in the field this year. It is a long story, but I cannot hunt until mid month this month (November). But if I can continue to group like that, I do not see why I wouldn't. Maybe I will try to take one with the long bow and one with the new weapon. We will see.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

rlmx - I don't have the same opinion as you. I've archery hunted for over 45 years now (long before compounds). I see the compound as simply a more efficient weapon - just as the centerfire rifle was over the traditional sidelock muzzleloader.
We as bowhunters have to still be stealthy enough to get in close, draw undetected, and make a clean, accurate, ethical shot on our quarry.
There are some people that believe the modern crossbow is more lethal than a compound. I also disagree with that argument. A crossbow's heavy bolt loses energy and velocity quickly. I believe I can shoot my PSE DNA at much farther distances and more accurately. I shoot consistent 5" groups at 70 yards.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:34 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by bronko22000
rlmx - I don't have the same opinion as you... I see the compound as simply a more efficient weapon...
We as bowhunters have to still be stealthy enough to get in close, draw undetected, and make a clean, accurate, ethical shot on our quarry.... I shoot consistent 5" groups at 70 yards.
Actually I think that we do have the same opinion. I was expressing shock at the ease of setup and how forgiving the bow is.

You have ten years on me with a bow. But I get it. It takes a lot to get close enough to a deer to attach a tag. And even with this incredible weapon it will take far more that a few hours of practice to have any real expectations of using the thing to harvest a deer.