Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

dry fired Mathew Legacy

Old 09-23-2003, 05:39 PM

Default dry fired Mathew Legacy

I just bought a New Mathews Legacy and had only shot it about 30 to 40 times. Then later that day I let a friend, also a bow hunter see it and thats when it happened. He pulled it back and was not ready for how it let down. He was letting it down when he dry fired it. I don' t see any damage and think he had let it down at least part of the way. What should I do? I don' t really want to go back to tell the proshop what happened and the bow seems to be shooting ok. any suggestions would be helpful. thanks
Old 09-23-2003, 05:46 PM

Default RE: dry fired Mathew Legacy

Check your strings and cables. Make sure they aren' t damaged. Then check the limbs. Inspect the edges of the limbs, and the area around the cam axle holes. Run your fingernail along them and see if it catches on anything. If you don' t find anything like mentioned, I' d say you' re okay. Of course, check for loose bolts and screws for your attachments also.
Old 09-23-2003, 05:56 PM

just curious but did you happen to have simms limbsavers on it?? that would catch some of the vibration and maybe less damage
Old 09-23-2003, 07:29 PM

HI Josh, yes I had simms limb savers on the bow. thanks Eric
Old 09-24-2003, 08:57 AM
Typical Buck

I would' nt worry too much about it. I' d have it checked out at your bowshop.

I had an unfortunate incident where my string snapped while I was at full draw (different post all together). Scared me to death. It' s basically a dry fire. I took it right to the bow shop. He said most companies these days are actually testing their bows by dry firing them. Most solid limb bows on the market today can take a mishap. They said it' s when you repeatedly dry fire your bow where your bound to have problems.

J
Old 09-25-2003, 09:16 PM

throw it out and buy a new one JUST KIDDING , if your unsure take it to your local pro shop and have them check it out !

Old 09-27-2003, 04:42 PM

slbowman. Im very good friends with many top Mathews pros and they tell me during testing they dryfire and test there bows fully. I worked in pro shops partime for many years and dont recommend dryfires but it happens. Most likly your bows ok and you bought a bow that if your limbs ever become bad they will replace them no questions ask. By the way, I consider that the best bow I have ever owned for hunting in 20some years. Im currently shooting Icon.
Old 10-01-2003, 07:08 AM
Fork Horn

I would congratulate my friend on the purchase of his new bow and as soon as he paid me I would go get another one.

Seriously I had a nock break one time and it resulted in a dry fire. It did not hurt the bow but I never felt the same about that bow again.