HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Whisker Biscuit VS. Drop Away Rest? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/374687-whisker-biscuit-vs-drop-away-rest.html)

bbrunswick 10-31-2012 02:53 PM

Whisker Biscuit VS. Drop Away Rest?

I have been shooting my arrows through a whisker biscuit since I got into archery, and have had few, if any, problems. However I have been told that a drop-away rest would improve my groups tremendously. What are your opinions on the subject? Also if you do shoot a drop-away how does it function in the field namely on a spot-n-stock?

bronko22000 11-01-2012 12:00 PM

BB - you can get drop-away rests with full containment so your arrow will stay in place an be ready for a shot (I believe that is why you are asking). Now with that being said and having used both the WB and a drop-away I prefer the drop-away. The WB is a good reliable rest but will wear out and is hard on fletchings. While it is true there are more moving parts on a drop away which can possibly fail your accuracy is improved. But the possibility of such a failure is remote and I'll take the accuracy anyday. Not only does it improve your accuracy but also your effective range.

bbrunswick 11-01-2012 01:39 PM

What rest would you recommend? I have looked into Ripcord and QAD, and found that the QAD will stay up on a slow release, but fall when the bow is shot. have you had any experience with either of these?

bronko22000 11-01-2012 03:45 PM

Both of these are good rests. I had a Ripcord but it was an older model and I believe it didn't drop out of the way fast enough for my Martin Firecat. The newer models have faster drop times. There are a lot of guys in here that swear by the QAD. My personal favorite is the NAP Apache. But since I do most of my hunting from a treestand I am not worried about a rest that holds my arrow in place. And when I do still hunt, I normally carry my arrow in my hand or keep it on my quiver until I need it. But if I wanted to I could carry it nocked. The inside surface of the Apache's containment ring is rubber coated so it is dead silent.

bbrunswick 11-01-2012 08:11 PM

I took a look at the NAP Apache and I really like the way it looks. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

Mojotex 11-02-2012 12:12 PM

I have used both and do not care for the bisquit. It is rough on plastic fletching and I can arttest not all that spiffy in snow/sleet. I used a drop away the last 4 years that I was able to use a compound and like it a lot. I did not do spot-stalk style archery hunting so I cannot speak to that issue.

scottycoyote 11-02-2012 10:35 PM

how about one of the capture rests like hostage? it has 3 brushs that hold the arrow in place, but the vanes glide thru unencumbered.

bbrunswick 11-03-2012 07:48 AM

Scotty-I've looked at those but it seems that if the arrow was bumped hard enough it would fall out, thus leaving you in a predicament if you have a trophy buck standing in front of you. Maybe I'm just imaging scenarios. Is that what you use? If so, has the above situation ever happened to you?

Phil from Maine 11-03-2012 08:10 AM

I have only used drop aways so I can not give that much input on the whisker biscuit. I do alot of ground walking in the spot and stock situations as well. However with the heavey cover we have up here I always keep my arrows in the quiver until i am ready to use them. I have not had a real big issue with the deer standing there looking when getting an arrow ready.

bronko22000 11-03-2012 11:12 AM

The Hostage which is similar to the NAP Quik Tune 360 I don't care for either. The brushes wear out if you shoot alot and sometimes can be a real bear to tune. I'd take a WB over one of these.