Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
Whisker Biscuit VS. Drop Away Rest? >

Whisker Biscuit VS. Drop Away Rest?

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Whisker Biscuit VS. Drop Away Rest?

Old 02-26-2013, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

I don't understand why people say WB eat vanes. I have probably 1000-2000 shots through my set of 10 arrows and they still look brand new...

As much as I like to ground stalk, its full capture for me.

You can take my WB from my cold dead fingers.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by handles II
I'm stumped by your rational to "recommend" that people not use a WB even though, yes, Vegas was won by a WB and that WB's win in many other smaller shoots. It's proven its self over and over on the range and in the field. So your interpretation of physics doesn't really apply here. Remember, the bumble bee isn't supposed to be able to fly, but it does.

As for freezing rain, snow etc. if it can freeze a WB it can certainly freeze a drop away. And a shot of sillicone spray 1-2 x per season ends all worries. Over 10 years of hunting in WI and MN with it, never a problem.
The OP asked for opinions as to the pros and cons of a WB. Since I have one, I provided it. I wasn't discounting anyone's post or their opinion.

Since you called me out and are stumped by my rationale, here it is again in as best detail as I can provide.

IMO the Whisker Biscuit is not a good rest due to the fact the bristles are in contact with the arrow throughout the entire time it (the arrow) is leaving the bow. At the moment of release, the arrow bends either vertically or horizontally, depending on the type of release, i.e. fingers vs. mechanical. This phenomenon is called archer's paradox. The oscillation allows the arrow to clear the riser and the rest soon after the release.

Most archers work hard to prevent fletching from contacting the rest and riser. Therefore, why use a WB in which this error cannot be corrected? That is my point. WBs continually affect arrow flight until the arrow clears the rest. A properly tuned bow with a correctly spined arrow only needs the rest to provide stability at the time of release. I don't want the constant contact. And, any wise minded archer shouldn't either.

Physics does apply to an arrow shot by a bow. There is no questioning that fact.

Lastly, I would never spray silicon on my equipment during season unless it is scent free and even then I would be skeptical. My bow gets treated in the summer before season and then after. Never during. Guns are a different story, but hey I can reach out a little further with them.

I "borrowed" the following from a post by Mitch on the AT forum. Seems as though those guys got into the same discussion. Mitch provided some slow motion video of arrows at the moment of release.

Here is his post as quoted from AT.....

Whisker Biscuit- The arrow is held in place 100% of the time with no moving parts. It is very simple to set up and usually very easy to paper tune. I attribute part of this to the pressure of the bristles resisting the arrows tendency to flex. Watch a couple high speed videos and you will see what I mean. The disadvantages are a small speed loss, usually a bit noisier, they wear out, and don't try to hunt in freezing rain.

2 prong or blade rest- Again, no moving parts, very simple and easy to set up. Once set up correctly they have no fletching contact. The only disadvantage is the arrow can fall off relatively easy, especially in high winds or quick movement situations.

DropAway- Offer no fletching contact once set up correctly and have options for a full capture. Yes, you will need to double check your cam timing and sync once you attach the cord but it isn't a big deal.

Arrow support time-
The WB has contact with the entire arrow shaft and the fletching. The arrow does not travel through the middle of the biscuit once released. Due to flex in the arrow it will push into the bristles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K6mnyLNOIk
With the 2 prong or blade, they will drop down as the arrow slides over them. Combine this with the flex of the arrow and you will be surprised at how little time they are actually in contact with the arrow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POZteShp7wI
I know this is a drop away but you can see the arrow flex above the prongs long before they drop. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vz1y...eature=related
With the drop away, the launche http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOJAbBGTAscr simply get completely out of the way, (for the fletchings) If it truly didn't support the arrow enough, you would be able to see the arrow "drop" with the launcher. Watch these two and tell me if you see it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOJAbBGTAsc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOJAbBGTAsc

Now, why don't the Pro's us a WB? Some have used one to prove that they are accurate, but if the bristles need to be replaced every 3-5000 shots they would be changing them every month. For a hunter, that will probably last a couple years. Also, IMHO they are hard on feathers which a lot of the pro's use for maximum stability at short ranges (20yd indoor)
Why don't the pro's use drop aways? Well some do, especially for outdoor and 3D, but indoor, in a controlled setting the simplicity and reliability of a blade rest wins out.

Mitch
Old 03-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for an unneeded refresher on archers paradox. What it really comes down to is how much money you have to spend, how complicated you want things to be, how reliable you want things to be, and if you can hit where you are aiming.
Generally speaking, the WB covers all of those bases very nicely.
I'm glad you mentioned feathers...the WB isn't designed to be used for feathers, so archers who use them with a WB, yeah, they will be replacing. Blazers. I haven't lost one vain since using them..5 years now. Same WB for 10 years. The more worn the bristles get, the better it shoots.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:53 AM
Spike

I always shot WB's until my new bow came with a high end drop away. After hundreds of arrows shot and several trips to the pro shop I went back to the WB. The WB is the most solid piece of archery equipment I ever owned, or even heard of. I use a stiff, low profile fletching (Fusion 3") and have no issues with wear or excessive contact. If your bow is tuned well and you have the right shafts there is no measurable difference in accuracy that I've ever seen.

The original poster said he's a spot and stalk hunter. I would feel better with a solid WB personally. A drop away can get hung up on a twig and get a piece jammed in it, or have the cord pulled and moved. I've heard of them freezing as well, but not by anyone I know personally.