Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
New to Bow Hunting need some advice >

New to Bow Hunting need some advice

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

New to Bow Hunting need some advice

Old 07-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Spike

Default New to Bow Hunting need some advice

I've recently been to a sporting goods store and saw people buying some bows. I've always been interested and I feel it's time for myself to get one. I don't know anything about bows, so what would be a good starting bow to get? I'd like to keep it under $500 if possible, but I want it to be one I can keep for a while and use frequently. Also do I need a certain license to hunt with a bow? If so, where do you get it from? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Spike

Default I suggest

You search your area for an archery shop, or club. All too often people start out with bows with out being properly measured or with mismatched equipment. The items to considered are draw weight, draw lenght, left handed right handed? let off, arrow lenght, and weight, release or fingers? peep sight, type of sights, broadheads, etc. It's really not that confusing once you have it set up, please don't let me scare you away, I'm only suggesting you don't buy from a ?mart clerk who has worked sporting goods for three hours. The local archery shop can also give you good advice on licenses and seasons and have your arrows flying properly and on target. Once you get into it properly, it's a wonderful sport. If you don't have an archery shop look for a club and drop in. Most members of archery clubs are more than helpful.
Keep us posted on how you make out and don't hesitate to ask any questions. Just sort out the answers that make the most sense to you and go with it.
good luck.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:18 PM
Spike

Oops, as far as type of bow, I can't say. There are so many excellant bows out there. I would suggest you make sure the company is still in business so you can get repairs...just starting out you may want to buy one of the compound bows that can later increase the draw lenght and weight. Many a deer has fallen to a "used" bow that cost less than $200, as long as it is tuned, and set up for the shooter.
end
Old 07-11-2012, 02:11 PM
Spike

alright, thanks a lot for the help. I really appreciate it
Old 07-11-2012, 09:16 PM
Spike

Most definitely, stop by an archery shop or places like Cabela's and Bass pro. Those places have people with knowledge and experience who'll guide you in the right direction. Even if you don't buy from them, at least get measured and try out some bows. I'm new to archery as well, but I'm hooked. Lucky for me, friends have helped me out. Here's a link on selecting a bow. I hope it helps.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm