Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

New Bow Purchase

Old 08-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Spike

Default New Bow Purchase

Hello,

Just purchased a compound bow off of ebay for 75.00 a browning hypercam. How does the wood riser compare to metal? Hope I didnt make a bad decision, just wanted to try my hand at archery season this year. I used to shoot a recurve year ago. I know it isnt top of the line, but will it do the job. Thx UC
Old 09-01-2011, 05:12 AM
Spike

Unless it just has some crazy uncontrollable/unsolveable noise or thump to it when fired, yes it will do the job. Have an archery shop look it over to confirm it is still safe to shoot though (stress fractures, etc..), especially the condition of the strings. Get it tuned up, buy you the 75 dollar deer target from wal-mart, get outside, and start practicing. You are walking away from a recurve and into the compound world brotherman!!...lol Top of the line is Hype. A Haynes T-shirt wears the same as a Tommy Hilfiger. Dont worry about the glamour hunting. Sit in that stand, become a part of that forest, and enjoy knocking down that doe or buck with your new Browning. Old bows dont stop killing things when new bows hit the showroom floor!!!!!!!
Old 09-01-2011, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

A POOR choice honestly! You've really jumped the gun by buying a bow sight unseen and one that you have no clue about! For one, most wood riser Browing bows are no less than 20 years old! That means that it absolutely MUST be seriously inspected by a Pro Shop ASAP! It will most certainly need new custom strings and the laminates in the limbs must be caerfully inspected. You should have went to some local Shops and they would have been able to help you a LOT more than buying a bow that's probably been sitting in a garage or attic for a couple of decades.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:22 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
A POOR choice honestly! You've really jumped the gun by buying a bow sight unseen and one that you have no clue about! For one, most wood riser Browing bows are no less than 20 years old! That means that it absolutely MUST be seriously inspected by a Pro Shop ASAP! It will most certainly need new custom strings and the laminates in the limbs must be caerfully inspected. You should have went to some local Shops and they would have been able to help you a LOT more than buying a bow that's probably been sitting in a garage or attic for a couple of decades.
i dont think he did, yea maybe he could have done more research but my dad still kills deer with his jennings compound bow from the 80's.