Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

begginner broadheads

Old 08-08-2011, 05:50 PM
Spike

Default begginner broadheads

I just bought my 1st bow. I haven't bought my broadheads yet. I was looking through a bowhunting magazine and it listed all the different types of broadheads. My question is what are the advantages/disadvantages of each type, blade-point, chisel-point, or mechanical. I don't want to spend a lot of money to get the top of the line, but i am willing to spend a little more to get something in the middle of the pack.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

I would say the only advantage that mechanical broadheads have; is they fly more like a field point. Fixed heads will fly just like a field point if your bow is tuned. Fixed heads usually penetrate better and hold together better. I think one of the best broadheads for anyone are the magnus stingers, or buzz cuts. They have flown great out of every bow and broadhead tuned easily They penetrate better than any broadhead i've ever used, and are tough. I used the same four blade stinger for 3 deer last year. All i did was change out the little bleeder blades because they don't sharpen too easily. I don't work for them, but i kinda sound like it I just think they are a great broadhead. Best part is Stingers or Buzzcuts are cheaper than alot of the other broadheads out there, and have a lifetime warranty. Cut on contact broadheads penetrate the best hands down. Chisel tip broadheads usually have replaceable blades and tips. They work well too.Avoid the shoulder and any broadhead your shooting will do the job nicely, it's all about shot placement. Good Luck to you this season.

Last edited by HoytMT2332; 08-08-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Magnus heads are my choice.Just use the same weight as your field points.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Typical Buck

i have shot mechanicals and fixed blade, i love the muzzy 100's 3-blade, complete pass throughs every time and great affordability and aviailability, i bought my last 6 pack a wal-mart for 25 bucks.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:58 PM
Fork Horn

I agree 100% on the Muzzy broadheads. I would give the fixed blade heads a chance before you go mechanical. A fixed blade will give you better penetration over a mechanical under almost any condition. Just remember there are no beginner broadheads. Buy a good name brand head from the start.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would choose Muzzy also if I were in the market for new heads. Two main reasons. One--construction. I like how the blades lock into the ferrule. Second? You can find them anywhere. Oh yeah, there's a third reason. They don't cost $10 apiece.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:55 PM
Typical Buck

since youre new and looking to save money id also recommend the muzzys. If you can get them to fly well out of your bow they will do the job and like the other posters already stated, the price is right and you can get them anywhere.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

Go to your archery range and ask some of the members who are shooting broadheads some questions. You will find that most guys will let you screw on a broadhead and shoot it, this way you can try before you buy. Find out how good your bow is tuned by shooting a fixed blade, if it doesn't fly well then you either need to tune your bow or consider shooting mechanicals as they will fly like field points.

There are several mechanical broadheads that are constantly brought up on these formus, I shot some of them and didn't care for the penetration. However, know that a well placed shot with any broadhead out there today will put a deer down (mechanical or fixed blade). Buy what works for you and your setup and what you can afford and then practice, practice, practice.

Last edited by *twodogs*; 08-17-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:18 PM
Spike

i would get some grim reapers. Will not be any need to tune them as the will fly just like field tips. They are great penetrating tips with excellent durability. plus there is no o ring to fiddle with. after that i would choose muzzys like the other people have mentioned. Great broadheads, just sometimes can be a pain to tune. Hope i helped. Goodluck