Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

arrow set up for elk?

Old 08-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Spike

Default arrow set up for elk?

I am shooting a QUEST "smoke" at 65# draw and carbon express 350's at 27 3/4". Will 100gr Rage 2 blade broadheads be enough for elk?

Are fixed bladed more desirable for large game?
Old 08-02-2010, 01:01 PM
Typical Buck

Should be plenty. Have confidence in what you shoot. That set up should be plenty of KE to get them on the ground.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are fixed bladed more desirable for large game?
YES. Ever notice how everyone brags about "huge entry holes" with the Rage, but no one talks about the exit holes, for the simple reason that the rage does leave a big entry hole but lacks the penetration, and that's on whitetails. Now you're talking about an animal that weighs a good 4 times more with a much heavier and larger bone structure along with the fact that the average shot distance is longer, when compared to whitetails, and you're going to wish for as much penetration as you can get.
Go with fixed and simply errase any worrys about lack of penetration when the big shot on a 6x6 bull at 45 yards looks you in the eye.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

With your set up you should be OK. Personally I would rather go with a fixed blade like Magnus Stinger, Muzzy Phantom or Slick Trick Razortrick. All 3 of these are excellent shooting BHs.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Howler
YES. Ever notice how everyone brags about "huge entry holes" with the Rage, but no one talks about the exit holes, for the simple reason that the rage does leave a big entry hole but lacks the penetration, and that's on whitetails. Now you're talking about an animal that weighs a good 4 times more with a much heavier and larger bone structure along with the fact that the average shot distance is longer, when compared to whitetails, and you're going to wish for as much penetration as you can get.
Go with fixed and simply errase any worrys about lack of penetration when the big shot on a 6x6 bull at 45 yards looks you in the eye.
Absolutely good advice.

Personally I wouldn't shoot a Rage at these small Florida deer much less an 800 pound elk.

The Slick Trick line of broadheads are tops in my book for game large and small. I probably wouldn't use a Grizz Trick on elk but the slick tricks (magnum or standard) and the razor tricks would be my first choices.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:15 PM
Spike

I've lived out west and hunted elk in Wyoming and No One, including myself would step a foot into the field with a mechanical head for an Elk.
1. There hide is not like a whitetail, about 3 times more dense
2. Hitting large bone mass with a 2 blade expandable might led to a deflection and not a clean kill or wounded animal
3. These so much mass to go through to get to vitals
4. Fixed blade, cut on contact (muzzy phantom 125, magnus....)
Old 08-15-2010, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

The right mechanical with the proper KE would work fine for elk but as said above just pick a good quality fixed head and you'll be fine. I would suggest looking at the NAP Hellrazors or the new Thunderhead Edge either on would work just fine. If you really want the large cut of a mechanical head take a look at the Bloodrunner 2 blade they have a huge cut (2 1/16" when open) when fully opened and will work like a fixed head when closed. Check out the videos on www.cutsnomatterwhat.com. Good luck on your hunt whatever head you choose!!!
Old 08-15-2010, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

All good points here. My son-in-law and I bow hunted CO last year and my sil killed a 5x5 with a 2 blade rage broadside behind the shoulder a little higher than halfway up his body at 18 yards. the penitration looked like about half the arrow length and not passing thru. The odd thing was that the broken half traveled back thru his body and poked a hole out the far side back by the hip but stayed in his body. It had a massive entry hole almost fist size but almost no blood trail. Took us 2 hours to find him and went about 150 yards. He was full of blood when cut open but i gues since the impact was a little high he bled all inside.

Last edited by onebigelk; 08-15-2010 at 07:58 PM.