Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Stop the insanity!!!!

Old 07-14-2010, 01:34 PM
Spike

Default Stop the insanity!!!!

I first came to the forum looking for some advice on arrow size and weight. But I have not read any that has helped. Before all the new "technology" everybody shot aluminum arrows and fixed blade heads and killed a lot of deer. Now everyone has an opinion about all this new stuff that is over-priced and making these so-called hunting pros rich. I have read some of saying try a couple different things to see what works best for you. That is very costly. My question is unless you are brand new to the sport or your equipment has failed why change? If it is not broke don't fix it. So this is my first post and my last and I hope someone reads this and keeps their old equipent that there is nothing wrong with, and saves some money to actually go hunt with. And for all the other guys that wants there bow to 320 fps keep wasting your money because matthews has one that can shoot 335 fps and now you gotta have it. Matthews will appreciate it. So keep stimulating the economy and i'll keep shooting my slow 1996 model Jennings and my XX75's and I'll have a few extra bucks to mount my deer head.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:56 AM
NWA
Spike

I hear ya, but one thing though. I am guilty of this myself. There is nothing wrong with wanting to upgrade. That is, if you can afford it. I have two very nice Bowtech bows, and a cheapo Summit X-bow. Do I need all that? Hell no. But it sure is fun. Life is too short, if someone can go out and drop some coin and it makes them happy... Good for them, Ya gotta be able to make yourself happy cause no one else is gonna do it for you.

Just my thoughts
Nick
Old 07-17-2010, 01:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by pamike
I first came to the forum looking for some advice on arrow size and weight. But I have not read any that has helped. Before all the new "technology" everybody shot aluminum arrows and fixed blade heads and killed a lot of deer. Now everyone has an opinion about all this new stuff that is over-priced and making these so-called hunting pros rich. I have read some of saying try a couple different things to see what works best for you. That is very costly. My question is unless you are brand new to the sport or your equipment has failed why change? If it is not broke don't fix it. So this is my first post and my last and I hope someone reads this and keeps their old equipent that there is nothing wrong with, and saves some money to actually go hunt with. And for all the other guys that wants there bow to 320 fps keep wasting your money because matthews has one that can shoot 335 fps and now you gotta have it. Matthews will appreciate it. So keep stimulating the economy and i'll keep shooting my slow 1996 model Jennings and my XX75's and I'll have a few extra bucks to mount my deer head.
Shoot much? I've already wore out a cam, blown up an arrow and destroyed/lost plenty more. Wore out sites and releases and cut strings. If I had your 96 it would've been used up by now.

When stuff does happen it just makes sense to get the best you can.

I see Beman's MFX arrows changed this year and they are a big difference from an aluminum one. Finish is like glass and super quiet on the draw it's just that till this year they were on the heavy side, now they're not. When I need some, I'm trying those.

I wonder how much aluminum arrows change with the temps. All of the aluminum I use in work changes a lot.

A friend sold his Mathews bow and got a new one. Darned if he didn't get a pile of money for his old one. Say what we want about them, that's a good reason to own one. I don't.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

you can hunt with what you hunted with 20 years ago and if that's all you are gonna do then it will work. But like Nodog said, some of us shoot a lot and wear out things.

I buy probably more bows than most, and shoot more than most. I replace strings and cables on my competion bows at least four times a year, and two times on my hunting bows. I'm always trying to achieve archery greatness, by competing against the only person I want to beat. My self.
But then again not every one is an archery addict!
Old 07-20-2010, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Like somebody said

A hunter and his money are soon parted. And some see it sooner than others.

I've been shooting aluminum arrows, er now alloy as I recall, for nearly twenty years. Now I only worry about shooting as good as I did twenty years ago.

Last edited by Valentine; 07-20-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

I still have some of the alum arrows from my 78 Jennings, I also have some of my old cedar arrows from the mid 60's. Broke the Jennings trying to shoot it from my knees like my short recurve. First love is the recurves. Filled the freezer with many a deer and I think I enjoyed shooting them the most. Was forced to buy a used Mathews SWXT a couple of years ago when arthritus made my fingers unreliable. Now I will say I enjoy that bow the most when I'm shooting from 40 to 80 yards and can watch the arrows fly again. The accuracy of that thing amazes me. And, for hunting, it is awsome, but if you ever had a first love, you'll know what I mean. There is just a thrill being able to see your arrow appear in the exact spot you are aiming at. It just happens too fast with a compound up close for me to feel much other than appreciate a good shot. And talk about not having to buy much, shoot trad.

There's alot of archery out there to be enjoyed. And a lot of good people to enjoy it with.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am like the rev only not as old... I mean experienced lol, there is nothing wrong with trying to constantly improve yourself and your chances at hunting. Technology has advanced so much over the last 20 years its not funny. Prices seem very high but the cost of almost everything has gone up too, My last truck cost 35k new in 2002 now for the same set up its up to 45 to 50k. Just the way life works.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

simple enough.nothing wrong with being a gear junkie and if you can afford it. my sears indian bow was enough for me in 1983 but my newer 11 years old 2000 buck master jennings does it better. technology does change. things get betterized. some people get bored or gotta have the latest greatest.i woldnt put much thought into it or try to convince any different. nothing wrong with new toys.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:56 PM
Fork Horn

The difference between my 10 year old (new to me 2 years ago) PSE Stingray and my Hoyt Maxxis 31 is night and day. I did not need a new bow as the old bow was perfectly capable of putting an arrow in the deer...but the new bow should make me better.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

IMO there is no doubt the old stuff will still work. But the new bows are engineering marvels. I had a High Country bow that I shot lots of game with and it was relitively fast and accurate. Early this year I purchased my first parallel limb design, Martin Firecat and then a Cheetah. Both of these bows draw and shoot so smoothly and are fast quiet and accurate. After shooting these 2 bows for a couple of months, I broke out the High Country to shoot it a bit. What a difference. The old HC felt horrible to draw and on the release, I never realized how much it jumped in your hand. It didn't take me long to realize that I no longer wanted that older HC and I sold it to my neighbor who was tickled pink to get it.