Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

I like FOB's but.....

Old 05-16-2010, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default I like FOB's but.....

I saw enough youtube vids of guys shooting FOB,s and decided to get some myself. Since I didn't need to change my set up to shoot them, I tried them out.
And I was actually impressed, I think they work great and my arrows fly straight, long range and in windy conditions.
What I didn't like is that the FOB is in the way of my face and I can't get a clear view through my peepsight. With a little tweaking this could be resolved ( longer Dloop )
What I would like to see is the same design but in softer material so you can slide the FOB further on your arrow.
I heard people talking about the noise but when you listen to arrows coming in next to the target, it's almost the same as any fletched arrow.

So it might look stupid but I think I'm going to give them a go next hunting trip.

F.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Some stuff is just made

for newbies; the infrequent practicer; the infrequent user of shooting an arrow out of a bow.

The theory is if the hunter isn't going to practice much, the cost of some plastic 'vanes' will get covered.

I mean if you only shoot ten arrows a year, spending money on a fletcher might seem like a lot of money.

These manufacturers have newbie stuff down cold.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:32 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Valentine
for newbies; the infrequent practicer; the infrequent user of shooting an arrow out of a bow.

The theory is if the hunter isn't going to practice much, the cost of some plastic 'vanes' will get covered.

I mean if you only shoot ten arrows a year, spending money on a fletcher might seem like a lot of money.

These manufacturers have newbie stuff down cold.
I shoot about 500 arrows a week, fletch my ow arrows a lot.
( we have a lot of archers and a small range so things get shot in a bunch a lot...)
But they do have a marketing strategy that works and a product that matches their words.
Just to show, yesterday I had a small competition with some of the guys at the range.
At 50 yards/metres I shot FOBs and one guy shot blazers, one guy quickspins. The total distance between three of our arrows was measured. So you just connected the dots from one arrow closed to another. I had a distance of 1cm and 6cm while the others had 4 and 6, and 7 and 5.
We repeated the same game a few times and the grouping of the FOBS allways came out on top. The other two were target shooters and non hunters.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:42 PM
Typical Buck

FOBs work great even for non-"newbies" . You can hear a faint sound from the shooter's side of the arrow . That's the backside for you "newbies" out there . If you can be in a safe spot down-range and have someone shoot a QuikSpin fletched arrow you will definately hear that coming toward the target .
FOBs can be expensive though ............

Last edited by Ed McDonald; 05-22-2010 at 05:44 PM.