Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Summit Hot Dot problem

Old 04-18-2010, 05:57 PM
Spike

Default Summit Hot Dot problem

I just bought a new Summit Hot Dot Deluxe sight and realized that the pendulum feature on it doesn't work. I don't know if it's defective, or if someone else bought the standard sight (without the pendulum feature) and returned it to the store in the deluxe box. Does anyone out there know if there is an easy way to tell the deluxe from the standard just by looking at them? I'm pissed, I was really looking forward to shooting with this sight and it was the last one on clearance in the store so I can't just return it for a different one.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:25 AM
Spike

The saga continues...Returned the first Hot Dot sight and got my money back. Bought a newer "Plus" model and just realized that this one doesn't work either...I'm ready to pull my hair out. Hopefully I don't have too much trouble returning this one.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Return it, get your money back and then buy a real sight that isn't electronic.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:23 AM
Spike

That's the plan...Looking at the Spot Hogg's now. Any idea what the biggest difference is between the Real Deal, Right on, and the Bulletproof sights from Spot Hogg? Budget is always a concern and it's pretty much just for hunting. I'd consider any other sights out there too, but I see the Spot Hogg's keep popping up as the best in the game right now.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:33 AM
Fork Horn

just to give you another company.. the micro alpha V5 or V3 with the bar slide mount from trophy ridge is awesome.. i love mine..brightest sight i have ever seen or used...micro pin adjustment..and it comes with a built in light.. they run about the same price at SnH but you can check ebay ....i paid 124$ for mine brand new in box
Old 04-25-2010, 10:46 AM
Typical Buck

The Spot Hogg sights all have the same pin setup and ring assembly style.

The Right On is the bare bones sight. Each pin is individually adjustable up/down as well as in/out. There is a gang adjust, however you loosen the bolt, nudge it over a bit with your hand then tighten back down.

The Real Deal offers a micro adjust for both the vertical and horizontal gang adjust.

The Hunter Hoggit adds a better gang adjust mechanism (worm drive) as well as 3rd axis adjustment.

The Hoggit is the same as the Hunter Hoggit but offers the adjustable sight bar.

I would say that the Hunter Hoggit is the sweet spot between value and features. The 3rd axis adjustment becomes very important for your up/down hill shots.

My personal preference is the Hoggit. I prefer my sight a little farther out than the Hunter will allow. It also makes it nice to remove the sight as you only have to loosen one bolt.

One thing I can tell you for certain. They are absoloutely bomb proof. You eventually may "want" to buy another sight, but you certainly will not ever "need" to. I have accidentally stepped on mine (full body weight) and it simply didn't care or move. They are also a first class company to deal with.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:30 AM
Spike

Redline, thanks for the breakdown of differences between the sights. I sure haven't heard much of anything negative about these sights. The reliability, durability, and customer service seem to keep bringing this sight to the front of the pack too. It's not very often that you can get this many hunters to agree about anything.