Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
New to Bowhunting/PSE Stinger >

New to Bowhunting/PSE Stinger

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

New to Bowhunting/PSE Stinger

Old 03-09-2010, 09:40 AM
Spike

Default New to Bowhunting/PSE Stinger

I have never shot a bow in my life so let me first say that I am going to be visiting a local outfitter to try some out/learn to shoot before dropping some serious dough.
However, I have been doing some research and have been considering the PSE Stinger. About all of the reviews from Bass Pro Shops and Cabellas are positive and the price seems right.

My question is about the web site huntersfriend.com
Should I purchase the bow from a local dealer, or is this website the better deal. I know you send in measurements so the bow is custom fit, but I also realize that the equipment can be cheap with field or hunt ready packages. The link for the package i want is listed below. Any suggestions about this site and the equipment that comes with the bow are greatly appreciated.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/2010_PS...ow_Package.htm
Old 03-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Fork Horn

Regardless of the reviews and what other people say and or have, you need to go out and actually shoot the bows.. By just learning how to shoot and then ordering a completely different bow has no logic to it.. I have enough experience to know that every bow is going to feel different in your hands.. You may have a 28" draw length but with one bow that measurement may feel a little long and or a little to short and just may not be that comfortable to you.. Its best to first get use to the archery equipement to see if your even interested in it, then shoot multible bows in your price range to find the one that is most comfortable in YOUR hands, then get it set-up personally by someone that is knowledgable in that area.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:24 PM
Spike

Like I said in the opening of my post, I am going to try different bows out. The PSE Stinger is just one I have been considering heavily and want to try out. Also, like I said in the post, my main question was for the website listed (huntersfriend.com) and the equipment that came with the package. Has anyone had any experience with the site?
Old 03-09-2010, 02:08 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry man, it sounds like you have it all figured out then, I guess... I have no experience with that site because I would never purchase a bow through a website and or even consider it (my opinion)... I wouldn't trust them to get it exactly right, I'm extreemly picky when it comes to my archery equipement and especially my setups.. I would recommend buying your bow through a local shop and have them set it up correctly for you, I believe you will have a better overall experience with archery..
Old 03-09-2010, 02:18 PM
Spike

Yeah that sounds about right Diamondrack. I guess it would be better to spend a little more money and have it done right then dealing with a mail order scenario. My hunter safety class was at this place called On-Target archery in Illinois so I will most likely be visiting there. Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Different Stokes for Different Folks

When I was a newbie some years ago, I had the additional problem of not knowing if my shoulder would hold up. Budget conscious I didn't want to lose a fortune. My inexpensive bow shot so well I used it for ten years.

For any newbie, I'd say two things. How much money can you lose and how much do you want to spend.

As for compound bows, there are many different types of individuals on a country wide bow site. Some would not think of owning a bow under $500. Some will go for an intermediate priced bow. Some will only shoot the bows that cost at or near $1000.

For any newbie, I'd recommend five pound weights for each hand with training. Most newbies haven't developed their back muscles and arms to properly shoot a bow.

I'd recommend going to an archery store where you can hold and extend the bow, as if you were going to shoot it. The places that have practice bows, charge overhead, in the end, to the purchaser. And I don't blame an archer to wants to shoot a $1000 bow in practice, first. What is a newbie going to learn from actually shooting a less expensive bow. Can you hit a barn under pressure?

And for many, buying on the internet is the future; it's been for many the past ten years.

Interestingly, I just watched some internet videos on the bow you mentioned. I'd key in the bow name on the internet and see the sites listed.

I found an interesting factor over the years, which might be helpful. Many bows equal and often exceed the ability of the archer. Many arrows and products exceed the ability of the archer.

Good luck. If it was easy to pick out a bow, it would be easy.