HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New to Bowhunting/PSE Stinger
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2010, 05:19 PM
Valentine
Nontypical Buck

Default Different Stokes for Different Folks

When I was a newbie some years ago, I had the additional problem of not knowing if my shoulder would hold up. Budget conscious I didn't want to lose a fortune. My inexpensive bow shot so well I used it for ten years.

For any newbie, I'd say two things. How much money can you lose and how much do you want to spend.

As for compound bows, there are many different types of individuals on a country wide bow site. Some would not think of owning a bow under $500. Some will go for an intermediate priced bow. Some will only shoot the bows that cost at or near $1000.

For any newbie, I'd recommend five pound weights for each hand with training. Most newbies haven't developed their back muscles and arms to properly shoot a bow.

I'd recommend going to an archery store where you can hold and extend the bow, as if you were going to shoot it. The places that have practice bows, charge overhead, in the end, to the purchaser. And I don't blame an archer to wants to shoot a $1000 bow in practice, first. What is a newbie going to learn from actually shooting a less expensive bow. Can you hit a barn under pressure?

And for many, buying on the internet is the future; it's been for many the past ten years.

Interestingly, I just watched some internet videos on the bow you mentioned. I'd key in the bow name on the internet and see the sites listed.

I found an interesting factor over the years, which might be helpful. Many bows equal and often exceed the ability of the archer. Many arrows and products exceed the ability of the archer.

Good luck. If it was easy to pick out a bow, it would be easy.