Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Release

Old 12-27-2009, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default Release

I just bought my first bow about a month ago and can't shoot it yet because of the weather but I need to purchase a release. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what would be a good one? I have shot both wrist and the handheld releases and like the wrist ones quite a bit more.

Anything in particular I should look for? Any suggestions as to what I should try?

Thanks
Old 12-27-2009, 02:37 PM
Spike

My favorite is the Tru Fire with the buckle.... Its always there when I need it, and I can open my hand, use my my hand and nothing to lose. With the buckle its always in the same position, unlike velcro. The buckle is quick to put on too. The jaws always stay closed until you pull the trigger.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:51 PM
Spike

If you like wrist releases then I would recommend this one.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...069&hasJS=true
Old 12-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

For hunting never buy a velcro, too noisy! A single caliber release is more accurate than a dual, but I don't know if I would ever be able to tell. Scott makes some of the best, so does TruFire, Fletcher, and a few others. My best seller is the Scott Wildcat. If you have a shop close by you might want to go try a few if you can. Some like the glove style like the Tru Fire Hurricane or the Winn Free Flite. With those you need to know what size you want s,m,l,xl. If you want one in camo that is ok, but the little that is exposed will not make a difference and about $10.00 more.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:49 AM
Typical Buck

I've used a Scott Lil Goose for years but i'm not liking the velcro strap..... like stated above can be noisy. I should have bought the buckle. That aside, the release has served me well.

I'm going to upgrade this year to a TRUBall. More than likely the new Beast series or possibly an Assassin SST. Going with a buckle closure this time.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just recently switched this year after shooting a Scott rope release for over 20yrs. I got a tru-ball short-n-sweet. If you are using a string-loop on your new bow, I think this is an excellent release.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 12-28-2009, 11:31 AM
Typical Buck

Another Scott user here. I have the Little Goose and Wildcat. Very smooth.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:48 AM
Spike

I use a Scott Silverhorn. This is one of their new styles. It is intented for shooters that use a loop. It has an extreme forward trigger and a small silver hook to hook the loop. Takes a little to get used to but I love it!