Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

need help picking a bow

Old 10-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default need help picking a bow

Hello, my names tyler and ive been an avid hunter since i was old enough to hunt, however im just recently gettin interested in bowhunting. Im 19 and ive only got a month left until i finish my training here in pensacola florida as an aviation electrician for the navy reserves. A couple of my friends are avid bow hunters and also shoot local tournaments when seasons not in and id like to get a nice bow when i finnaly get back home to maybe catch the end. I finnaly have a little extra cash due to an elistment bonus to get a decent bow haha, but neways shot bows before but i really dont know what i need to get. I was hoping maybe someone could reccomend a decent bow for hunting and the occasional tournament. I know there are alot of different types of bows and cam types and what not so hopefully someone could give me some input on what to look for in a bow. but neways im 165lbs and about 6ft tall in good shape and willing to spend from about 400 to 800$ thanks for any advice you guys can give
Old 10-17-2009, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Give Athens a try...shoot many though to find one that fits ya...
Old 10-18-2009, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

If was getting a new bow it would be the Hoyt AM32, also the Hoyt TurboHawk-same limbs and cams diff riser and much cheaper OR an Elite Z28 OR Mathews Reezen 7.0

If you want to save some $ look for a used Mathews Switchback XT
Old 10-18-2009, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

dont buy a bow until you've shot the bowtech center pivot riser bows.. ive never shot a bow tht feels even close... but theyre all great bow, go shoot them all then decide...
Old 10-19-2009, 05:12 AM
Spike

gett a fred bear show down its an amazing bow for a good price look at the reviews on it
Old 10-19-2009, 01:37 PM
Fork Horn

The best advise I got was shoot as many as you can get your hands on. Find one that fits you. Every bow is a little different and everyone has there favorite. Once you find one that you like you can save a lot of money buying it used. There are a lot of people that sell theirs after season to buy the next years model. So you might can find one you like and save a couple of hundred dollars on it by buying it used. Just a thought.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default If it was easy it would be easy

Some things I did on the last bow. Set up a price of what I wanted to pay. And stuck to the bows in that price limit.

Did some research. I'd check the internet forums on archery.

Check out the nearby stores that sell bows and check out the sizes, the weight, and get a feeling on what you might like and might not want.

I'd try, if the timing is right, to go to 3D shoots. You can learn a lot of up to date information on bows and arrows. You can get some good opinions, and get some good varied opinions. It won't fit you exactly, but the information will grow on you. And you may learn that archery isn't all hunting. Practice and 3D events can be their own kind of fun.