Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Rage broadheads

Old 08-02-2009, 10:02 AM

Default Rage broadheads

I have used muzzy broadheads for years and they are good broadheads, and they do a good job, but i am thinking of using the two bladed rage broadhead because of the larger entry. Has anyone tried the rage broadheads and how well do they work?
Old 08-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Fork Horn

well let me tell you this. either your gonna have a bunch of people post on here about how they hate it or a bunch of people say they love it. anybody that hates them will tell you the blades sometimes come open during flight or that all the blades dont open on impact. People that love them will tell you that its just hunter error and that you need to check the blades prior to shooting them and they will fly perfect. and people will argue this back and forth.
I have shot the rage 3 blade broadheads. I killed several deer with them last season all which had big entry and exit holes. I was fortunate enough to not have the blades open on me while i was hunting. but let me tell you the blades do come out of the o-rings quite easy, and the o-rings break easy to. i have had the blades open when i was practicing whith them on a broadhead target. youll here a buzzing noise coming from the arrow while its in flight when this happens.
i am not shooting the rage this year im shooting the vortex 2 blades but if you want to try them go ahead maybe you will have good luck with them.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Thanks for the reply

I've been using the same mechanicals for nearly 15 years. And like everything there are no absolutes, so you keep your eyes open, in case you need to replace them.

The one thing about mechanicals is to LEARN how they open and make sure the open when you make the arrow shot. I never assume they will open, but take the time to check the blade will open.

From what I know about rage, you better pay attention to detail and they'll perform.

Again thanks. Just in case.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

Valentine I have to agree with Bigbuck 17 on the fact that there are the lovers and the haters.
I will fall in the category of they have not let me down yet.
I have had one open when I was practicing and that was not pretty but I got good penetration into my tool box. I needed new O rings and thought I would try some from my shop and I have to say not a single head has open and I have try to hit them against stuff to get them open and they dint until the head enter something. So I will still be using them this year. Has for flight I get a 1 to 1.5 inch highest derffernce with a feild tip at 30 yards at 25 they are dead on.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

The #1 thing you need to remember with any mech is you need plenty of KE to get good penetration.
I use the rage 2 blade and have had no problems. the main thing is you do need to check them to make sure blades are locked in good. from my treestand and blind i love them. but for my spot and stalk hunts i wouldnt use them. to much stuff to get snagged on and have them open. and when you get a shot while stalking you dont have time to reach up and close it again.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pretty much tells me to stay with a good reliable fixed head...

Cant remember the last time I read something about a good fixed head not doing what it was designed for
Old 08-10-2009, 09:20 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mohunter82
The #1 thing you need to remember with any mech is you need plenty of KE to get good penetration.
I use the rage 2 blade and have had no problems. the main thing is you do need to check them to make sure blades are locked in good. from my treestand and blind i love them. but for my spot and stalk hunts i wouldnt use them. to much stuff to get snagged on and have them open. and when you get a shot while stalking you dont have time to reach up and close it again.
I agree with this 100% (except the blind comment). The blades are Always popping out of the O-Ring and need to be put back into place constantly. I shot the 3 blade and it performed fine until it hit the deer at a quartering away shot. The Rage tip is not as sharp as most fixed blades and deflection will occur more often because of this as it had in my experience. The 2 blade are less likely to deflect I am told but when I can shoot G5 Strikers just as accurately as I ever could my Rages why screw with them and put myself through the hassle. Also as for the blind... the rage will tear through the shoot through mesh not slice through it as my strikers or any other fixed blade will. This WILL Deflect your arrow... no exceptions, I don't care what anyone says... I've tried it and I know they suck for shooting through a mesh window. A fixed blade is in my opinion more reliable, durable and just as lethal when shot precisely.

There's enough things that can go wrong while Bowhunting, why add yet another potential for failure with little benefit and lots of hassle in return?
Old 08-10-2009, 11:39 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
Pretty much tells me to stay with a good reliable fixed head...

Cant remember the last time I read something about a good fixed head not doing what it was designed for

I think he asked how the Rage works. Didn't ask anything about fixed heads but thanks for your 1 cent (it's not worth 2).
Old 08-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default Rage broadheads

I have shot a fixed blade head for years now. My broadheads shoot great and they kill deer all the dead I need. If your heads are killing game then I would not change anything. I like to turkey hunt with my bow and some times deer hunt from a tent blind. The last thing I want to worry about is if my heads will fly through the mesh. My fixed blades will punch right through. I also notice that the Rage seems to be all the rage on hunting shows now. I also notice that most deer shot on tv run off with most of the arrow hanging out of the entry side of the deer. The last 7 deer I have shot have all been pass threws.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by annika3
I think he asked how the Rage works. Didn't ask anything about fixed heads but thanks for your 1 cent (it's not worth 2).

Just trying to save him some money DA...

Because we all know he will prob switch back to the muzzy's