Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

G5

Old 03-25-2009, 07:20 AM
Spike

Default G5

anyone with any info on the Montec? do they fly like a field pt., accurate @ distances beyond 40yds? thanx for any info.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: G5

The flight and penetration are top notch with the montec, there are two things that I dont care for with these heads. They are noisier than alot of fixed blades heads, and they arent the sharpest. They do kill deer just fine though.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:53 PM
Fork Horn

Montec are deadly accurate. I consider them one of the most accurate heads on the market.

I use them for Broadhead tournaments for this reason.

Many use them in my area.
DB
Old 03-30-2009, 04:03 PM
Typical Buck

I have shot the Montecs for the last 5 seasons.
From an accuracy and effictiveness standpoint I think they are right up there near the top of the list.
When I was getting ready for my caribou hunt I regularly shot them out to 90 yards and was able to consistently hit a caribou sized kill zone at that distance.

This year I went to the slick tricks and have been very impressed. There are a couple of thinks that I like about the tricks that have made them my new "go to" head.
1) Sharp like you wouldn't believe: Not that you can't make the Montecs sharp, but it took some work.
2) If you nick a blade, you can buy a replacement set for about $10. Nick a blade on a Montec and it has just become a practice head.
3) Cost: When I started shooting Montecs they were pricey (~$27 / 3pk). This year they are $35/3pk. While they are a great head, they seem to have surpassed my price vs. value point.

I would recomend the slick tricks as a more than adequate substitute.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:09 AM
Spike

been shotting the montecs 3 years now. Acuuracy seems good, but i couldn't really seem to get them sharp, but it didn't seem to matter. Every deer i have shot it has blown through them even when i didn't make the perfect shot. They have done a lot of damage.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:41 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Joshhuff99

been shotting the montecs 3 years now. Acuuracy seems good, but i couldn't really seem to get them sharp, but it didn't seem to matter. Every deer i have shot it has blown through them even when i didn't make the perfect shot. They have done a lot of damage.
PRECISELY THE POINT! THE MONTECS ARE A GREAT BROADHEAD... THEY FLY WELL, ARE PLENTY SHARP ENOUGH TO GET THE JOB DONE AND GREAT ON BONE... DID I SAY HOW GREAT THEY ARE ON BONE. IF YOU WANT THEM SHARPER, JUST USE A FINE STONE AND LIGHTLY HONE EACH AND THEY WILL CUT THROUGH ANYTHING.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:34 AM
Spike

thanx 4 the input
Old 04-09-2009, 01:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: passthru79

The flight and penetration are top notch with the montec, there are two things that I dont care for with these heads. They are noisier than alot of fixed blades heads, and they arent the sharpest. They do kill deer just fine though.
X2

Dan