Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Sight pins sizes and Tritium >

Sight pins sizes and Tritium

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Sight pins sizes and Tritium

Old 03-18-2009, 12:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default Sight pins sizes and Tritium

I see that sight pins come in .019 and .029 with the tritium pins at .040. I would like to by a truglo tritium sight but am concerned that the pin is so large it may make hitting the target (not the deer) less accurate. The farther away won't the larger pin cover the target?

Is this not a big deal and should I buy the tritium pin sight?
Old 03-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Sight pins sizes and Tritium

I've used Tritium pins in the past, and unless there has been a Huge improvement they are a waste

Definitely Not an improvement over the fiber optic pins currently on the market.

Dan
Old 03-18-2009, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

they make .29 pins. i would take tritium over fiber optic any day of the week. fiber optic quits on you in the early or overcast light. thats when the best hunting happens http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_33814____?ordProd=Y&CMID=TOP_selectite ms#itemDetail
Old 03-18-2009, 03:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: liquidorange

they make .29 pins. i would take tritium over fiber optic any day of the week. fiber optic quits on you in the early or overcast light. thats when the best hunting happens http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_33814____?ordProd=Y&CMID=TOP_selectite ms#itemDetail
I guess it depends on the Fiber Optic, but with mine I could shoot in the Moon light. I think that's good enough[8D]

The Tritium pins I have seen werebarely visible until dark. I don't hunt in the Dark.

Dan
Old 03-18-2009, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

with mine I could shoot in the Moon light.
thats because the fiber is grabbing the ambient light. try a overcast early morning hunt and i would rather use a white dot than fiber. i dont hunt into the dark but i do know that tritium pins dont need sunlight or batteries. i have an erradicator sight thats 12 years old with tritium and its still working.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: liquidorange

with mine I could shoot in the Moon light.
thats because the fiber is grabbing the ambient light. try a overcast early morning hunt and i would rather use a white dot than fiber. i dont hunt into the dark but i do know that tritium pins dont need sunlight or batteries. i have an erradicator sight thats 12 years old with tritium and its still working.
I've never hunted an overcast early morning

I'll stick to my Fiber Optics they are brightest in all conditions. I've also killed several Bucks between 10am and 2pm. I shot a Buck right at dark once. I won't do that again. If it's too dark to see your pins it is definitely too dark to pick a spot and accurately judge a rack.

If I'm seeing Bucks right at dark I figure I need to have my stand in a different location.

I always wonder why they made those Tritium pins. I guess some like them. I tried them and they were not for me. I don't know anyone in this area that uses them either. Fiber Optics are so bright compared to pins in years gone by. I've never had trouble seeing mine during legal shooting hours period.

Dan
Old 03-18-2009, 07:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Question, though: Do they stll sell that luminescent paint anywhere that we used to paint our old brass pins? I need it for something else

Old 03-19-2009, 03:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Question, though: Do they stll sell that luminescent paint anywhere that we used to paint our old brass pins? I need it for something else
Not positive Greg, but I believe I may have access to it.

Dan
Old 03-19-2009, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

o they stll sell that luminescent paint anywhere that we used to paint our old brass pins?
the new lumi paints today are super charged. they last way into dark. natchez shooters sells a kit with a couple different colors.i still like the tritium.