Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 single pin vs multiple pins >

single pin vs multiple pins

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

single pin vs multiple pins

Old 12-04-2008, 12:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default single pin vs multiple pins

i hunt all season in all kinds of surroundings from thick woods to open fields and shoot alot of league. my buddy shoots a single pin and loves it. i was just wanderin how practical they are for hunting (like in rut when a buck can come and go quickly) i think a single pin would be great as far as a target sight but maybe iffy for hunting. what are your guys' 2 cents?
Old 12-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: single pin vs multiple pins

I just switched in Octoberfrom a 5 pin Hogg It to an HHA Optimizersingle pin sightthis year. I decided to switch when I was out west in September. I had a small6x6bull elk coming in fast and when I first saw him, he was atabout 90 yards running at me, he came in so quick, I had full draw on him at 60 yards and I was changing distances in my head every half secondtrying to put the right pin on him. Anyway, I shot at 24 yards and I used the 40 yard pin as my head could not keep up with the constantlychanging distances. Luckily, an elk is so darn big that I double lunged it high and he went 70 yards and piled up in sight but if it were a whitetail, I don't think I would have got the animal.

The whole experience made me think alot about the concept of a single pin and increasing my arrow speed which will lead to better reaction time. Now I have my one pin set at 30 yards. If I have a close shot, I look under the pin and use that as the targeting pointand if it's 40 yards, I look over the pin. 25-35 yards, I put the pin right on. It's made me a much quicker shot, eliminating the chance of target panic that a multiple sight can casue. I know a lot of guys say they won't ever have target panic. I used to say that toobut when an 800 LB annimalwith hugehorns is running right at you it's the ultimatealdrenalin rush. I'd only recommend a single pin if you're shooting over 280FPS as a flat trajectory is a must for a single pin huntingsetup up unless you just shoot 3D.9 times out of 10, you're not going to have time to adjust the windage on the sight in a hunting situation, things happen justtoo fast.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: single pin vs multiple pins

I use a single pin slider.... never going back to multi-pins.

I am only (haha... only) shooting about 280fps. So I don't have, no believe I'd want to have ONE PIN to 40 yards... my line of set up and thinking is that I leave the thing on about 25 yards or so.... and I can kill a deer with no holdover at all out to about 30.... I need to put the pin on the line of the back at 35.... and if he is farther than that... I probably won't have a shot.... but I'll take the time to range him and move the sight.... if he moves.... well ...... thats bowhunting.... its about how close not how far.

Thing I like about the single is the sight picture is exactly the same everytime. I had a tendancy to move my head with multi pins... which is cool.... so long as I did it the same everytime. I've found myself to be much more accuracte than I was before with a single pin.