Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Looking for a new bow... Mathews? Hoyt? >

Looking for a new bow... Mathews? Hoyt?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Looking for a new bow... Mathews? Hoyt?

Old 11-03-2008, 11:49 AM

Default RE: Looking for a new bow... Mathews? Hoyt?

Don't buy a Mathews or Hoyt without shooting a Bowtech first!!!! I had a Drenalin last year and have shot Mathews for the past 8 years but decided to shoot a Bowtech general this year and I was amazed how quiet and shock free it is...Do yourself a favor and atleast shoot a Bowtech before buying anything
Old 11-03-2008, 11:51 AM

Thank you!
Old 11-03-2008, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Look guys-just because I like mathews and yall like bowtech don't mean he should get either 1. He needs to get what feels right forHIM and what HE shoots best. The bottom line is that he really can't go wrong with ANY of the top of the line,top quality bows. For example,I DID try bowtech and STILL like my ol bow better than anything that mathews,bowtech,hoyt,etc offers even in the new models.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:20 PM

You are also right. That is what we have all been saying.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Typical Buck

Shoot em all, you'll know when you shoot it..Good Luck
Old 11-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

hey blackstick, does the 82nd airborne have much shock/vibration?? and is it hard to shoot tight groups with that much speed?? jw that would prob be wat i got if i was gettin another bow, but i jus got my tomkat last year and i love it.for the money idk how youcould beat it...im def a diehard bowtech guy now
Old 11-03-2008, 08:06 PM

ORIGINAL: piketon_hunter#9

hey blackstick, does the 82nd airborne have much shock/vibration?? and is it hard to shoot tight groups with that much speed?? jw that would prob be wat i got if i was gettin another bow, but i jus got my tomkat last year and i love it. for the money idk how you could beat it... im def a diehard bowtech guy now
Out of the box, there is no noticeable hand shock or vibration because of the string stop. It is very effective. However, if you get a 2008, you should replace the stock rubber piece in the string stop with the Bowjax one because the string can get stuck in it and then you end up drawing it back with the rubber piece on the string. If you get the 2009, the won't be a problem. Plus it's quiet, but I made mine as quiet as possible. I added a lot of aftermarket silencing pieces for both sound and stability, which certainly helps with accuracy. I added riser jax, limb jax, and stabilizer jax from Bowjax. I also added the limb silencers from diamond. I took a picture so you can see.

It is not hard to shoot tight groups once you get used to the power. I have shot a 297 at 20 yards on the 5 spot. Not perfect, but not bad for a hunting bow with that kind of speed. My goal is to be the first guy to win a tournament with an 82nd (not Vegas, but you know). No one thinks it's possible, but let me tell, you that it is. It is an excellent 3D bow because of the speed, you don't need to judge the distance as closely. For that reason, there is a speed limit of 280 fps in serious 3D tournaments. I don't shoot those.

There is a lot of power in these bows and you need to be able to control it. I'm not saying that a greenhorn should shoot it, but it can be done. I'm living proof. I shot some old Hoyts for about 3 years very rarely, then I decided to upgrade. Introducing the 82nd. It can be done, but I am pretty strong.

Look at possibly getting a 2008 because I was able to get better performance out of it after tuning than the 2009 (an extra 2 fps). Maybe that isn't important to you, but it is to me. Let me know if you have any more questions, I am more than happy to answer them.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:07 PM

Here is the pic.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:24 PM

hey dont forget the new admiral I just shot it, I was IN wow form !!!but also for the price I shoot the Firecat and I am a hoyt shooter , but then again its what feels good in your hands, I am not a bowtech guy but the admiral felt good in my hand and was shooting similar to my firecat , a little quieter but the price $850 made my wife smack me when I picked it up. For hunting my Firecat was Ideal for me anyway it was quick, light and very quiet not too mention I got it new from Martin for $575. now my target thats a whole other animal I had to sleep on the couch I dont know how many times I put something new on that thing ................. Damn that reminds me I like that new ALphamax by hoyt I wonder If I can hide it in the garage?
Old 11-04-2008, 03:29 PM

hahahahaha

Quick Reply: Looking for a new bow... Mathews? Hoyt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.