Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Traded Guardian 4 Admiral >

Traded Guardian 4 Admiral

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Traded Guardian 4 Admiral

Old 10-12-2008, 09:56 PM

Default Traded Guardian 4 Admiral

I called the local shop Monday and the Admiral just came in off the truck. I loved my Guardian but it was long and heavy. My favorite bow of all time was my Tribute which I traded for the Guardian and now repurchased a 07 Triby. Any way the new Admiral fits my bill, short, quiet and fast. I have shot it about 50 times thus far and overall very pleased. It is light and as expected dead in the hand. The new string suppressor works much better in the lower position. The draw comes on early and stays consistent with a nice fade the intoletoff with a very solid wall. Something that I am not sure about is it is set at 63lb with a 28.5 setting on length and after breakover you are only holding 6-7lbs? You can creep with this bow like crazy without it breaking over, compared to my trubute which only lets you creep very and I mean very little. I like the center pivot setup and now like it even more since they have removed all of the e-clips.

I have had two issues with the new bow however. I started hearing a grinding noise when I drew the bow back so I started looking it over. I noticed that the upper cam was rubbing on the down cable. I took it to the shop and had them look it over. After much inspection we discovered that it was not the cable that was making the noise but the roller guard. The bearing had partially came out or was not installed correctly and the two rollers were grinding metal to metal. We took it off and inserted the bearing again and shimmed it up and all was well.

The shop owner called his bowtech rep while I was standing next to him and discussed the cable issue. Bowtech was aware of the issue and said they had one in a machine with 6000 shots and no issues from the rubbing but they were trying to address the issue. I expect they will have to send some new cams or something to rectify the rubbing issue. We tried twisting the cables each way to fix the contact with no avail. Now it is just barley making contact but the timing marks do not match. I am set to take it back this week to have the new roller guards installed and I will try to get them to get it back in time then also.

This bow is a Dream to shoot and pack in the woods so I will work through the issues and use the 07 Tribby untill all is well. I am confident that Bowtech will make it right as they have rectified any issues I have had in the past....which was only one issue on my Guardian and they will do so in a timley manner.

I will keep you posted to the updates as they transpire.

2009 Admiral
28.5 Draw
62lbs
420 Gr Easton
D Loop
Ripcord res.....tI have some pics of tehe bow but too large to post if someone knows how I ccan email.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:16 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Traded Guardian 4 Admiral

Glad you like the Admiral. There is a thread in AT of the roller guard issue. I'm waiting for the store to get the 60# in so I can purchase mine, but hopefully this issue will be fix soon.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on the new Admiral!!

Dan
Old 10-14-2008, 09:29 AM

I just got the word that they will be sending new wheels out for the Admiral to resolve the cable contact issue. I will say that I am upset that this occured but as promised Bowtech has stepped up.

I sent an email Sunday night to Bowtech about 10:00 pm and Mr John Nelson from Bowtechreplied to me within 45 minutes on a Sunday night.....that is great. Compared to the phone message I left for Rage Broadheads 3 days ago with no response of yet.

I will keep you updated with any other details.....the wheels might take 3-4 weeks though.

They did say it was ok to keep shooting it.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

It looks like the geometry of the way the cables come off the cams is going to put them right at the edge of the cam surface regardless of what you do. Mine LOOKS like it's touching, but in reality it's not. I've checked the serving surface closely since I have it and already hundreds of shots later it's just fine.
It looks like a concern when you see it because it looks like it's knifing right across the edge but it really isn't.

I saw it right away on mine but regardless of how close it is if it's not cutting the serving it's not a problem if it's 1/4" or even .010" away from it.
It's going to worry some people when they see because itlooks weird, it but if it's not wearing your serving don't give it another thought.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:13 PM

They say (Bowtech) that they have over 6,000 shots on the one in the machine and is the same as mine and it has created no further problems. I just want to have it exactly perfect.