Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Opinions needed on 2 blade BH' s >

Opinions needed on 2 blade BH' s

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Opinions needed on 2 blade BH' s

Old 03-13-2003, 05:56 AM

Default Opinions needed on 2 blade BH' s

I' m considering going with some 2 blade BH' s .
What is your favorites?
I believe that the 2 blade would serve me well while MOOSE hunting
I' m currently shooting Thunder Heads, but thinking the Cut on impact is the way to go
AL
Old 03-13-2003, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Opinions needed on 2 blade BH' s

I have used two bladed heads (along with other heads), and can give you a few pointers on them. I have mainly stayed with magnus and stos, but there are a lot other two bladed head out there as well. For me, I have gotten the best accuracy out of my bow with two bladed heads then any other style of fixed blades. You will find the non-vented heads the quietest. Also, make sure that you have enough fletching in the back to make sure the head don' t try to steer the arrow.

Will they work well on Moose, easy answer, yes. Very well. But also make sure your setup is right. If you are questioning other styles of heads, you will get various answers. But I don' t think that anyone will argue that a two bladed cut on contact head will work.

Just don' t get caught up in the trap that they will do unbelievable things for you though. They still have to be placed in the correct spot to kill game. Will they go though a shoulder blade? Just look at the magnus website and see the moose shoulder blade under the testimonials. But, why anyone would want to shoot through a shoulder blade is beyond me. I could see shooting through one upon exit on a deer that is quartered away, but thats about it. My point is, don' t try to make them do things that you wouldn' t ordinarily do.

Old 03-13-2003, 01:20 PM

littleal,

5-shot is the resident expert on this subject and he will be able to give you the best advice. Here is some but not all of his broadhead tests....

http://www.american-hunter.com/broad...dhead_test.htm

Depending on your set-up there a bunch to choose from that would get the job done. Magnus Stinger, Zwickey' s, Bear Razorheads.

I am going to be using Phantoms this fall on Moose, Whitetail, and Black Bear. They can be shot with just the main blade(at 105 gr) or you can add a one-piece 2-blade bleeder(at 125 gr) to have a total of 4 blades. I have been testing these Phantoms out for the past month and so far the only complaint is I broke the retaining tab on one of the main blades when it was hit by another arrow in the target. Other than that they fly nice(5 inch fletch on 400 gr Gold Tip Camo XT), no hiss, and the steel used in them is top notch. After dozens of shots into foam target the blades still held a pretty good edge.

P.S

A friend of mine shot a large Cow moose last year at 30 yards with a 3 blade Thunderhead and he got a pass through. This was out of a 60 pound bow and 28 inch draw. So as long as shot placement is good i dont think you will have a problem with any QUALITY fixed blade broadhead.

Good Luck and happy Swamp Donkey hunting.

Old 03-13-2003, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

You got some good advice already. I have two favorite two blade heads and both are made by Magnus. The regular Magnus screw in in the 125 grn wieght is an outstanding broadhead. The Magnus stinger in 125 grns is the absolute best two blade head I have ever tested. If you want to shoot 100 grn heads then the Magnus stinger, phantoms or bear razor lites are all excellent broadheads. Bobco gave you some great advice on the proper amount of fletching and corey also made a good point with the thunderheads also being completly fine. The Phantom heads are great and very durable as well. The website is in dire need of updating, but I hope to have it done fairly soon, but is should give you a few heads to review.
Old 03-14-2003, 05:22 AM

Thanks alot guys
I wasn' t expecting miracles or anything like that!
Just figured I would go with a SMOOTHER penetrating BH, thinking there would be less chance for a hang up(no pass through)
AL
currently shoot a G2 30" draw, MZE, Easton 360 acc' s,and 85gr thunderheads at 70 lbs.My current COMPLETE arrow weight is 395 grains