Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Summit Side Bags Or Front Bags >

Summit Side Bags Or Front Bags

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Summit Side Bags Or Front Bags

Old 03-15-2003, 07:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Summit Side Bags Or Front Bags

I hunted an entire season with the front bag attached to my Goliath........its a real handy addition to keep things right at your fingertips but there are a few things to keep in mind with it.
If you are going to use it to hold binos or a rangefinder or anything else bulky like that you will not be able to pack the stand with these items in the bag without threat of damaging them.
The way that the stand fits together requires that you slip the bag between the 2 sections........you can let it flop outside of the 2 sections with your gear inside but it will ride down your neck between you and the stand and its not very comfortable that way.
I don' t use a bow mounted quiver, instead I use a Catquiver which I lash to the stand. Inside the catquiver pouch I keep my binos and rangefinder which I transfer to the bag when I' m in the tree ready to sit down.....then when I get out after the hunt I put these items back into the Catquiver so they are safe.
You can leave items in the bag when packing as long as they lay relatively flat.......I keep my safety rope, knife, grunt tube, hoist rope etc in the bag at all times(as well as an extra pair of camo gloves and headnet since I' m forgetful)

Also I can tell you that the front bag is NOT in the way when you are hunting.......I' m 6' 3" and I didn' t have any problems whatsoever.
You' ll also make a lot less detectible movement with the pouch right in front of you.
Also another item you might want to think about is a Themo-Mat.....I bought one from " Len in Maryland" before the start of last season on his reccomendation and it was a great little addition.
They have a size that fits the summit stands platform width perfectly, and with just a bit of trimming in the front looks like it was made for a Summit stand. Really helps with cold feet and noise when moving around in stand........camo on the bottom and black on top to soak up the suns rays a bit.
Old 03-15-2003, 09:00 PM

Thanks Matt/PA,
I had not even considered them getting in the way while packed up...

Old 03-17-2003, 11:12 AM

The side bags never got in my once this past year.......not hunting or packing in or out.

One thing I will say is that if you put heavy stuff or bulky items in there the bags swing more when you walk and sometimes clang against the side rail of the stand. I just reach back and hold the bag if it is clanging.

I kept A LOT of stuff in those bags that was heavy or big. Binos, rangefinder, grunt, can, sunflower seeds, 2-way radio, and so on. If the bags are not stuffed to the gills you won' t even know they are there.

I really don' t think I would like the front bag hanging down on my legs all the time. The side bags can hold a lot of stuff and become quite heavy if your not careful.........I found myself carrying a ton of stuff I relly didn' t need just because I could.