Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Tripod Question

Old 07-18-2008, 02:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default Tripod Question

I'm thinking of trying bow-hunting from a Big Game Tripod this year. Has anyone have success with these? Our trees on our hunting property isn't in good enough shape to use a climber, thanks to hurricane katrina.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tripod Question

Zophy, I have been using tri-pods for over 10 years and yes I have had plenty of luck with them, the biggest buck that I have ever taken was out of a tri-pod. I hunt a part of Texas that the trees arent very tall, a lot of brush, a tri-pod is a very good option for me.A tri-pod tends totake more work to get it into the right spot but when this is the only option you have it can be done, Ialways try to set mine up so that the legs are really in some serious cover, this is the part I was talking about that is so much work, which makes them not as portable ashang on or climber. This is where my pop up blind comes in to play or I have a smallaluminum hang on that I always take with me just in case I need to make a change in a hurry....Good luck to you!!!
Old 07-20-2008, 10:58 AM
Fork Horn

How high is your tripod? I'm thinking about purchasing the Big Game Apex Tripod. It can reach, I think 17ft with the extender.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have several different one's from 6'-14'....Most of mine are all home made that I use all the time, I have one that my father in law uses and it is store bought. It is really difficult to put together (bolts, wing nuts, and crossbraces). I also have a couple that are made by gametamer, those are the only ones that I have that are store bought, the gametamers are the only ones that I have hunted that I would recommend. They have adjustable legs to get them perfectly level and they don't have all the braces that take forever and a tool box to put together. http://www.gametamers.com/brushtamer-pods-c-3.html They aren't cheap but they are the best IMO, of all the tripods..

I pick the height of my tripods by determining how tall the brush or trees are that will give me adequate cover thus resulting in many different heights that I own.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's the most recent one I put up, it is 14' tall. I try to hide the legs and keep a background for my body....

Old 07-20-2008, 12:32 PM
Fork Horn

This was taken from my feeder looking at my Tri-pod. The black spot in the middle is the seat folded down. Legs are not seen, and with camo and back ground eather am I.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info and pictures.