Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 looking for a good hunting release >

looking for a good hunting release

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

looking for a good hunting release

Old 05-10-2008, 10:32 AM

Default looking for a good hunting release

I have shot fingers for 24 years, but I am ready to make the switch now to a mechanical release. What is the most accurate release that is still quiet?
Old 05-10-2008, 01:01 PM

Default RE: looking for a good hunting release

IMO you should check out the line of releases by Scott Archery, they are awesome, many styles to choose from.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Scott the only way to go I love my Mongoose
Old 05-12-2008, 07:13 AM
Typical Buck

I would have to say the TruBall Short-N-Sweet or any of the Carter wrist strap models will work great.

Both companies offer terriffic triggers (no takeup and no creep). If you get a release that has too much trigger travel it can lead to a wicked case of target panic.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:18 PM

I just recently purchased a Scott Little Goose Deluxe release with the buckle strap. I really like it. It even gives you three different trigger options to try for your own preference.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Typical Buck

Tru Ball Short-N-Sweet x2
Old 05-12-2008, 08:07 PM

If you're use to finger shooting you MAY prefer a "T-handle" release instead of a wrist-strap kind. Tru-fire makes one or two, TRU-ball makes several. Scott may....Idunno. There's others but the prices go north quick. That's the downfall of the handle relieases. Usually have better triggers (if we were to evaluate them like gun triggers) and some are more adjustable...but they often cost more than wrist-strap types.

I'm still using my trusty tru-ball wrist-strap release for everything. But I'm looking to make the switch cause the strap is a pain in the butt with jacket and gloves and what not.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:37 PM
Typical Buck

While a hand held may feel closer to shooting with fingers, there exists the real possibility that after all of those years of being conditioned to let your fingers go, you might "forget" and let the whole release go[:@]

I would say that from an ease of transition standpoit I would first go to a wrist strap or a hand held with a wrist strap to prevent a launched release from ricocheting off your riser and clocking you in the head.

As far as pure accuracy goes, I prefer the hand held over the wrist strap releses. I have been hunting with them for about 4 years now and other than dropping it from the tree a time or two (thank goodness for the backup in my pack) I have had no issues.

Soilarch......just an FYI, when you shoot a hand held release with gloves on, even thin ones, it will push your anchor point further away from your face and thus change your POI. In the fall, I sight in with the gloves I will use and wear them or a pair like them whenever I shoot.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have tried them all and prefer the grip style releases such as winn's free flight,or bear paw. I've found this type of release actually utlizes back AND bicep muscles to seem like a lighter draw weight,don't rob you of draw length,and is very easy to get used to.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Fork Horn

Anything made by Scott. I use the little goose and most of those in my league have it in one form or the other. I would get one with a buckle strap not velcro. This way it's on the same way everytime.

Quick Reply: looking for a good hunting release

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.