Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Sight lens

Old 04-01-2008, 05:24 PM

Default Sight lens

Hi guys. I have Viper h1000 sight on my Ally. I was wondering if anyone has one and if so do you have a lens in it. For that matter, what are the advantages or disadvantages of putting a lens in any sight. Do they really help that much? Thanks
Old 04-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Sight lens

Rob just got one from Feather Visions for his Viper, and I've got a Feather Visions lens on the way for my new Spot Hogg Hogg-It that'll be here by the end of the week, so I can let you know after that. He had to send the Zeiss glass to Spot Hogg so they could drill it out especially for my sight.

When talking to Bert at FV, he suggested getting a 2.5 power so that I wouldn't need a clarifier peep (I want the capacity to screw it on and off and not have to change my whole setup when switching from IBO to ASA shoots)... I asked him if that would closely approximate being able to see the target detail about twice as well as with the naked eye, and he replied that I was close... probably less than twice, but I had the right idea.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Actually the lens I got from Feather Vision was for my Boss Scope but Feather Vision can make a lens for the Viper sights.

Hi guys. I have Viper h1000 sight on my Ally. I was wondering if anyone has one and if so do you have a lens in it.
I don't have the 1000 but I do have several Viper Predator Pro MT's and the 2000. I also have a lens directly from Viper which fits the whole line and comes with the rubber seal and screw in adapter for the Viper line.

For that matter, what are the advantages or disadvantages of putting a lens in any sight. Do they really help that much? Thanks

Really other than the rules in ASA, IBO or local clubs, there is little disadvantages to the lens. Some that come to mind is glare, possible rain issues and they do blur the target some. A clearifier lens is usually necessary to clear up what the lens maginfies. Also, whan adding a lens on the target side of your pins like the Viper scope, it changes point of impact therefore you will need to resight with the lens and then resight if you take the lens out. Adding a lens between the pins and your peep does not change the point of impact taking it on or off.

Advantages, maginifies your target.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:55 PM

Picked up a 4x lens for my viper sight today. So far I like it alot. Not so much blur and i think it did help. Maybe its just an in my head thing but hey, what ever works right. I shoot my league on Thursday night so I will see how it goes there. Thanks guys.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Typical Buck

If it is a hunting rig, don't bother with a lens, the drawbacks far exceed any benefit.
1) Rain/condensation issues
2) Decreased target brightness
3) Glare/Reflections
4) Reduced clarity of the target => need clarifier......see #2 above
5) The 12 ring on a real deer is as big as a pie plate, not like that itty bitty ring on a 3D target

For a target/3D rig, they can be helpful and generally the above reasons aren't too large of a consideration to gain some extra accuracy.

I shoot a lens on my target rig (long stab, scope, the works.....) but on my hunting and 3D rig (same bow) I use a standard Spot Hogg sight with .029 and .019 pins.