Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Bow purchase

Old 03-16-2008, 05:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bow purchase

Here is one of those nice dilemmas. I've shot an old PSE for years and plan to purchase a new bow in the near future. Even though I am leaning toward Mathews, I could save myself some cash by using my Cabelas points and purchasing one of their bows. Any suggestions or experience with any of the bows they carry? Thanks
Old 03-16-2008, 06:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bow purchase

Take a look at the Diamond brand bows -- if you like a shorter one, it's the Black Ice. A bit longer = Diamond Marquis. Cabelas sells 'em.

I made the switch from Mathews to Marquis a few months ago, and couldn't be happier (especially with my MeanV string stopper in place of the factory ShortStop.)
Old 03-16-2008, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Diamonds are still high priced bows, not alot of difference between them & Bowtechs $$ wise. But both are great bows.
If your considering a Hoyt, then why not look into the cheaper Reflex line. Those can be purchased little cheaper than Hoyt, and your still getting alot of Hoyt in them.
But I'd shoot any bow before making any purchase, whether it be store, shop, or catalog.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:36 AM

Cabelas has the new Diamond "The Rock" for $399. Haven't seen it yet but the specs look good. They also have some new Fred Bear bows foraround $400.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:03 AM

The top bows to look at Cabelas would be the Bear Truth 2, Diamond Marquis and Black Ice, and Reflex Ridgeline 34 and Charger in my opinion. My two favorite are the Truth 2 and the Marquis. They were both very smooth, quiet, comfortable bows to shoot right out of the box. The Black Ice is really nice too, but I prefer a little longer ATA bow. I decided on the Truth 2.If you read the 2008 Bow Review in the latest edition of Petersens Bowhunting mag, the author writes that the Truth 2 was one of the best bowshe shot at the ATA show (not all'08 bows were reviewed however). So Truth 2 or Marquis in my opinion. Really nice bows!!
Old 03-16-2008, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

cabelas carries the fred bear lights out
its only $330, and its a great '08 bow
my friend just bought one and he loves it
look at the whole line of bears though
Old 03-16-2008, 12:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

In all rights the Black Ice and Marquis are top of the line single cam bows. If you are looking for a single cam Bow you would be well advised to spend some time shooting them. Take time and shoot all the brands and models you can get your hands on. Only YOU can decide what is best for YOU. Enjoy the sport of Archery!!

Dan
Old 03-17-2008, 04:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with you on this. Im going to be buying The Lights Out.

ORIGINAL: xXxrory7xXx

cabelas carries the fred bear lights out
its only $330, and its a great '08 bow
my friend just bought one and he loves it
look at the whole line of bears though
Old 03-17-2008, 08:29 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

In all rights the Black Ice and Marquis are top of the line single cam bows. If you are looking for a single cam Bow you would be well advised to spend some time shooting them. Take time and shoot all the brands and models you can get your hands on. Only YOU can decide what is best for YOU. Enjoy the sport of Archery!!

Dan
Mr. Dan speaks the truth. I have had a thing for a single cam bow for a long time but never had the disposable cash to get one. That changed this spring and I got myself a Black Ice. It is an amazing piece of work. The draw is sooooo smooth, as is the shot. The balance if the bow is a delight. I can shootLOTS of arrowswithoutgetting tired. Man, I love that bow. One would have to assume that the Marquis was also exceptional, as Diamond makes a top shelf product. But again, as Dan mentioned, shoot as many bows as you can get your hands on. They all feel just a bit different and who knows which one will fit your the best!
Old 03-17-2008, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

So true. Only you can decide what is best for you. The only way you can make a proper decision is to shoot as many bows as possible and see what works for you.