Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

82nd question?

Old 03-11-2008, 05:14 PM

Default RE: 82nd question?

guardian gets my vote, shot it since mar last yr ,love it love it.

ive bowhunted for 32 yrs with 100+ deer to my credit,several yrs with recurves , lots of compounds incl 7 yrs shooting matthews.

I shot every bow i could get my hands on & the guardian is top of the heap

I dont normally like short ata bows but the riser design feels much longer.
very stable
very quiet / super quiet with the mean v
0 hand shock
pretty darn fast / 323 w-367 gr arrow
balanced very well
deadly accurate

no i dont shoot or work for bowtech

Old 03-11-2008, 06:05 PM

Wow, I impressed you, Hillbill, enough for you to sign up and give your opinion?

Thanks, all informative opinions are welcome and appreciated, including if you don't like any of these bows, but please give me a reason.

As for your Guardian what weight and drawlength do you shoot at? have you ever checked the speed?

Still need to shoot the allegiance and guardian, almost hoping that I don't like how they shoot, so I can maybe finally narrow down my choices
Old 03-11-2008, 06:30 PM

I know this not what you asked but for me i shot atleast 6 of the new bows and think i found the perfect fit for me its the 101,you get awsome speed with very little shock and noise and spot on accuracy good luck
Old 03-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 101airborne

I know this not what you asked but for me i shot atleast 6 of the new bows and think i found the perfect fit for me its the 101,you get awsome speed with very little shock and noise and spot on accuracy good luck
Thats also how i would descride the 101
Old 03-11-2008, 06:55 PM

I spent some time with the 101st, PSE Dream Season and a General one afternoon, of the three, I liked the General, 101st, and Dreamseason in that order, I think the General would be a slam dunk if it would be a bit faster, I am looking for a bit more speed than my current bow.

One of my criteria was the ability to shoot from 10-30 yards with one pin.

I know that is not entirely possible, there will be some variance in that range, however, with my current set up the difference from 22yds to 30 yards, was enough that I did have to compensate for it, otherwise the shot would be 3-4 inches lower at the longer distance.

Easily compensated for in the backyard, where I always know where I am at, but out in the treestand, even with ranging out all my possible shots, I would prefer to take some of the guess work out of the shot, and know that if a deer comes within a 30 yard circle, I only have to put the pin on where I want to hit and it will go there within a couple inches of where I am aiming.

From what I have been reading this is achievable via speed. The more speed, then better chance of achieving my initial criteria.

Am I wrong in this assumption?

I am thinking of bumping up from a 60lb bow to a 70lb bow with the thought of when the weather turns cold, I would be backing the 70lb draw weight down to around 65lbs. Currently I am shooting around 260g fps, thinking 290-300 should get me where I want to go, but just guessing until I can actually shoot the new bow (whatever I decide on) in the back yard.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shot the Ally, General, and 82nd this weekend. I'm by no means an expert on these bows, but here's my take on them.

Allegiance (shot with Speed mods): Most "continuous" draw cycle of the three. Cam rollover is less harsh when you drop into the valley on this one. Shoots very well with little hand shock. Bow balanced well in my hands.

82nd: SCREAMING fast. Remarkably quiet for a bow putting out 330fps, and very little hand shock. Draw cycle on this one wasn't as continous as the ally, and I was dumped in to the valley a little more rough...but I'm not used to shooting aggressive cams, and I'm sure I would get used to it (watching Rob shoot it, he didn't have the rough "jerk" reaction when the cams rolled over).

General: Very smooth, and quiet. Liked this bow, but honestly in the little bit I shot the three, it was probably tied with the Ally, and the 82nd being my favorite. I'm a young guy, so "aggressive draw cycles don't bother me. I believe aggressiveness is all relative anyways. Certain shooters percieve certain bows to be rougher and harder to draw than others. For me, the 82nd had it all, and the draw cycle was very tolerable. At this point in time, it would be my go to choice.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:46 PM

ok heres my take, most of the bowtechs have agressive cams and that turns some away that are accustomed to the smooth single cam draw,but its easy to train ones self to the draw.
what i like about these bows is when it fires there is no shock, well very little depending on the model.
allegiance-fast but some shock/ little noisey without string
general-0 shock but not as much speed/ super quiet/smooth draw/to short for my taste
82nd- fast/ quiet/to little brace height for a hunting bow,with some shock
101st-fast/ quiet/little shock/ long for some peoples taste,but i like it a lot....will soon be stable mate to my guardian
guardian- 0 shock / speed falls a little behind allegiance/101/82nd/ but imo with a mean v mounted there isnt a better all around bow out there

my specs
72 lb/30 in 323 fps shooting 28.5 in carbon express maxima hunter 250/ 100 gr head...367gr arrow
limb driver rest
hha 5000 sight
tru peep 1/4in hole
mean v stop
rage 2 blade
no stabilizer, dosent need one

keep in mind this info comes from a tenn hillbilly thats been around 48 yrs so take it for what its worth.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:52 PM

ORIGINAL: hillbill

keep in mind this info comes from a tenn hillbilly thats been around 48 yrs so take it for what its worth.

well, geez, can't hold that against ya

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:47 AM
Typical Buck

i bought a tributelast jan. i was really torn between the tribute and the general. i went with tribute because it was a proven bow and the radical design of the riser on the general to much for me. maybe i'm just being paranoid.but if i could do it over again i would buy a general. very smooth and quiet. but if you can get a good deal on a tribute go with it. it is a very solid bow.

by the way. what proshop you going to? i bought mine from archery express.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:03 AM

ORIGINAL: shaggy1224

by the way. what proshop you going to? i bought mine from archery express.
Been dealing with the guys over at the Minnow Bucket (King, WI)

Quick Reply: 82nd question?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.