Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

rangefinder

Old 02-18-2008, 09:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default rangefinder

i need advice from your archery pros.

i bought a bushnell rangefinder sport.

now, how do i use it ,do i use it up in tree or at groundbefore i climb in tree?

any other tips would be nice, thanks sproule
Old 02-19-2008, 07:05 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: rangefinder

I range from thestand right after I've pulled my bow up or as soon as it is light enough to see, depending on whether it's morning or afternoon of course. My Nikon doesn't have the ARC so when possible I range trees at eye level. I keep it simple and find acouple of 20 and 30 yd markers, I tend to getforget what is whatif I range every tree around.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Sooner State Hunter

I range from thestand right after I've pulled my bow up or as soon as it is light enough to see, depending on whether it's morning or afternoon of course. My Nikon doesn't have the ARC so when possible I range trees at eye level. I keep it simple and find acouple of 20 and 30 yd markers, I tend to getforget what is whatif I range every tree around.
my bushnell does not have ARC system also..
so, you get in your stand and shoot the laser at EYELEVEL instead of shooting down at object.

i guess you would get a wrong reading if you pointed it down at object fro up in tree?
i wondered about this.

i am going tomake atest this spring, i am going to get on my house roof and shoot down at object and see the reading, then i am going to check it from ground.

is there a difference in yards from tree stand to ground and from ground out to object?
Old 02-19-2008, 07:49 PM

Unless you are really high up in the tree, the new ARC system is of marginal utility, IMO. Let's say you are 15' up in the tree - or five yards - and the deer is 20 yards away. That's only about an 11 degree angle. Arrow is going to hit a couple inches high - but so what? At longer distances, the angle is less and the ARC feature is of even less importance.

And even if you are sitting in a very high stand, I would just do some ranging at the base of the tree before climbing - put out some little markers, like a small piece of orange flagging stuck in the ground with a nail - to indicate the 20 yard perimeter.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

Unless you are really high up in the tree, the new ARC system is of marginal utility, IMO. Let's say you are 15' up in the tree - or five yards - and the deer is 20 yards away. That's only about an 11 degree angle. Arrow is going to hit a couple inches high - but so what? At longer distances, the angle is less and the ARC feature is of even less importance.

And even if you are sitting in a very high stand, I would just do some ranging at the base of the tree before climbing - put out some little markers, like a small piece of orange flagging stuck in the ground with a nail - to indicate the 20 yard perimeter.
thanks for info.
i used to put out red ribbons but i feel i was stinking up area around my stand, so i stopped doing.