Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Smoke Broadheads..Check These Out >

Smoke Broadheads..Check These Out

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Smoke Broadheads..Check These Out

Old 02-23-2008, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Smoke Broadheads..Check These Out

I still don't understand why it wouldn't work with my 3-d deer target. In your video on resetting you deploy the blades by hand with little force. I can't imagine why the blades wouldn't deploy from the tremendous force of hitting my deer target.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:44 AM

It may or may not deploy in a foam target so I include the disclaimer. The reason that it wouldn't is that out of today's high tech bows (280' and faster), there is a reaction time that is required. A rigid surface will disallow the give in the target that allow the blades to lock open. The blades will open; however, they will not reach the locking position; and therefore, will close before they have a chance to lock. That slight amount of pliancy in the animal's hide allows for this.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:36 PM

It's innovative and maybe he found a niche, time will tell. But I'm not convinced yet until I see some reviews. Great name and slogans, I just wasn't impressed with his acting. [8D]
Old 09-18-2009, 10:13 AM
Spike

Thumbs up

I bought two 3 packs of these for this years season.

I have already shot 3 does with them and the kills are great. The farthest one ran 35 yards. The other two were through the front shoulder heart shots that dropped them in 20 yards. All shots were pass through from a treestand. You guys can say all you want about what you think they will do. I know what they do and they kill quick. When the blades open they are locked open not like other piston point heads where the blades can just flop around after opening. And the double cut front and back side of the blades are a great feature

Originally Posted by davepjr71
I don't like busting on someones product but:

The deployment method is not new. It's a nock off ofthe Piston Point BH that came out early last year and is now owned by Trophy Ridge.

I've seen the blade layout somewhere before.

The blades sit way too far back for my liking. Looks like almost 1". On a deflection off of heavy bone you may not get any blade contact at all or very little. Furthermore, there is too much drag until the blades would start to cut. Most manufacturers are going to cut on contact for a good reason.

The .95" diameter is rather small. Again, another chance for missing vitals or bad cut.

Sorry but I do not see how they are more humane for the reasons listed above.

Last edited by ezrider3; 09-18-2009 at 01:31 PM.