Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Smoke Broadheads..Check These Out >

Smoke Broadheads..Check These Out

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Smoke Broadheads..Check These Out

Old 02-18-2008, 07:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default Smoke Broadheads..Check These Out

I met the owner of this company and he was really a great guy. He live around the Pittsburgh, PA. area. He has developed a "NEW" deployment and locking system for a broadhead that I've never seen before, and his blades are sharpen front & rear that creates an good size exit wound.

Check this broadheads out yourself. www.smokebroadheads.com
I'm going to be using them come next bow season. I was impressed with these. Check these out yourself.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Smoke Broadheads..Check These Out

The theory is great. I would love to hear some reviews when you get them. My selling points would be the reliability of deployment and the durability of the blades upon impact. Definitely sounds like they could be good.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

The look pretty sweet, but man that's alot of parts to put together. And $42 bucks is INSANE for a 3 pack of broadheads.

I do like how the blades are completely tucked away during flight. And I like how both sides of the blade are sharpened. Just too pricey.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't like busting on someones product but:

The deployment method is not new. It's a nock off ofthe Piston Point BH that came out early last year and is now owned by Trophy Ridge.

I've seen the blade layout somewhere before.

The blades sit way too far back for my liking. Looks like almost 1". On a deflection off of heavy bone you may not get any blade contact at all or very little. Furthermore, there is too much drag until the blades would start to cut. Most manufacturers are going to cut on contact for a good reason.

The .95" diameter is rather small. Again, another chance for missing vitals or bad cut.

Sorry but I do not see how they are more humane for the reasons listed above.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:13 PM

they are kind like Piston Point Expanding Broadhead
Old 02-18-2008, 07:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm not a mechanical fan but those do have some good features for a mechanical. The cutting diameter could be a little bit wider though. And they will not be legal in many states due to the "barbed" effect of the blades.

And $42 bucks is INSANE for a 3 pack of broadheads.
Wait until you see what Rages are for this year. They have a minimum selling price right at $40 for three.

The deployment method is not new. It's a nock off ofthe Piston Point BH that came out early last year and is now owned by Trophy Ridge.
Try another 15 or more years ago with the Pucketts punch cutter. And possibly another before that.

The blades sit way too far back for my liking. Looks like almost 1". On a deflection off of heavy bone you may not get any blade contact at all or very little. Furthermore, there is too much drag until the blades would start to cut.
This is no different than any otehr mechanical broadhead on the market.Nearly all mechanical bades are at the rear of the head.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:15 AM

They sounded pretty good til I read this:

"IMPORTANT: Smoke Broadhead will not deploy in foam or hard practice targets; practice target must simulate hide for deployment."

Old 02-19-2008, 09:23 AM

Yeah I thought the same as someone above, Looks similar to the Puckett's Blood Trailers of the 80's and early to mid 90's. The idea looks great on paper and they fly great but never opened properly most of the time. I do have to say I did take a deer with the Puckets Blood Trailers, and in fact still have some but those heads also cost me a deer too.[:@] And after that I did some research and found that they were not opening properly. And thats when I made the switch to Muzzy's
Old 02-19-2008, 04:08 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: txmarshmonkey

They sounded pretty good til I read this:

"IMPORTANT: Smoke Broadhead will not deploy in foam or hard practice targets; practice target must simulate hide for deployment."

If this is true, I won't touch them. I understand there is a difference between the hide of an animal and a target, but I want a broadhead that is tough enough to handle it.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:07 AM

I wanted to address some of the comments on the Smoke Broadhead. This broadhead has been designed for better accuracy and deeper penetration for bigger game animals, therefore, hide simulation for target practice is necessary (for eg, deer hide).The reason the Smoke Broadhead will not go off in cardboard/foam types of targets is because the surface area of cardboard/foam is not hydrated and does not flex. It has a rigid surface area which disallows the puckering/pliancy of the target which is needed for the Smoke Broadhead to deploy and lock open.All animals do not have rigid bodies; but instead have a hydrated mass with a certain amount of pliancy. This is how the Smoke was designed. This allows the Smoke Broadhead to create front end load for deployment as it is pushing through the hide into the pliable ballistic gelatin and/or body mass before it deploys and enters the target. After it is deployed and enters the target, the Smoke frontal tip creates a hydrofoil which minimizes friction down the arrow shaft and allows for extreme penetration.This is how the Smoke design evolved and why the frontal tip design, the distance between the frontal tip and the blades when deployed, and the pliancy of the animal hide enable the opening and locking of the broadhead upon impact. When tested in ballistic gelatin, no broadhead on the market has out penetrated the Smoke Broadhead; fixed or mechanical.

With respect to being a knock off of the Piston Point, the provisional patent for the Smoke was filed in 2003.Also, I have had marketing companies test the Smoke andthey were impressed that the entry wound was
actually larger than the Piston Point. Again, this is a result of the design with the pliancy of the hide. This mechancial deployment system of the Smoke broadhead is NOTHING like the Puckett Bloodtrailer.

The broadhead will not deflect off of bone; in fact, it was actually shot through a 220 lb. buck at 48 yards causing a compound fracture of the opposite right front leg. The 1 1/8" entry cut diameter allows the Smoke to deploy at any shot angle. Also, there is no drag on this broadheadbecausethe design of the frontal tip is to utilize thekinetic energy of the arrowshaftas described above. In fact, when shot against any cut on contact broadhead whether it be mechanical or fixed, none will out penetrate the Smoke.

It ismore humane because it is as accurate as a field point for shot placement and once deployed in the animaland if there is no pass through, the backcut will cut its way rearward out of the animal creating extreme tissue damage and internal hemmoraging that will lead to shorter blood trails and faster kills. As far as barbing goes, as a start, the PA Game Commission has already approved it as non-barbing because of the backcut. We have done our research and only a handful of states will see this as barbing.

For smaller game such as fox, turkeys, squirrels, etc., I have in production the Smoke "Tommy Knocker" Turkey Tip. This is a wider and flatter tip that screws on to the end of the Smoke ferrule and was produced to address specific results of the testing I have done.Larger game with heavier hide require the Smoke triangular cutting tip.

I appreciate the feedback.

Quick Reply: Smoke Broadheads..Check These Out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.