Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Bowtech/Diamond ShortStop issue >

Bowtech/Diamond ShortStop issue

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Bowtech/Diamond ShortStop issue

Old 02-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bowtech/Diamond ShortStop issue

I'm brand new to this forum, but not to forums in general and certainly not new to bow hunting and archery. I took a quick look for a similar post to add on to, and bump... but found none, so here I am with a new thread.

I gave my Mathews Q2 to my oldest son this fall, and seized the opportunity to get a Switchback XT. I liked the bow, but never really got used to the short A-A and the negative effect with my 30" draw. Then I met the Diamond Marquis. I couldn't sell the Mathews fast enough! and, other than the 101st that I'm now coveting, too... I think this Marquis will be my last bow. I can't say enough good things about it, except for one problem.

There is no apparent way that a kisser button can be used with any of the bows that use the Bowtech/Diamond "Short Stop". With some minor adjustment of the arrow rest and knocking point, they can be made to fit properly one time... but they don't last. I shoot this bow in a league, and after as few as 10 or 15 shots, the kisser and/or its securing ring (even a regular brass knock!) is soon gone. I have to attribute this problem to the very small distance that's available between the kisser location and the position of the Short Stop, and the jolt that's applied to the string at the worst possible location when kissers are used. I should say, here, that I shoot the bow at the full 70#.

I've noticed that there are a lot of "Bowtech Pros" on this board --- and I am curious to read your replies. Yes, I can (and am) adjusting to this loss-of-another-anchor-point, but I am neither happy nor comfortable. I'm open to suggestions, and if something has been found to work, please let me hear them. But it is going to be very difficult to convince me that Bowtech considered this problem when they designed this Short Stop - as I said, it's location is 100% perfect for prohibiting kissers.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:40 PM

Default RE: Bowtech/Diamond ShortStop issue

to your problem there are several sts that mount from behind the stabilizer i think this will solve your problem i shoot the 101 and every day it is really unbelievable
Old 02-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just take it off.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:30 PM

Take the back half of it off and put a MeanV string suppressor on.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:57 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies. I know options exist; the point, and interest in posting here, was to (a) inform others of this design flaw, (b) find out if anyone knows why Bowtech did not address this in their design, and (c) learn whether Bowtech plans on doing anything about it.

The rubber snubber inside the string stopper isn't glued in place: there really wasn't an issue with that when I first got the Marquis and was shooting @ 60#, but after only a few shots @ 70#, it started coming out after one or two shots. A call to Bowtech got the reply "yeah, we know... just SuperGlue it".

I can understand and appreciate the design theory behind stopping the string as close to the center as possible (the physics say it should be better than down @ the stabilizer location). If Bowtech wants to absorb the cost of changing to something like a MeanV, and won't raise any warranty issues later on, I'd probably be okay with that. I think there are only a few models with this type and location of string stopper on them, and those are all new in the past few months, right? So maybe this is the sort of "field R&D" that has to occur.

Another thing I've learned: owners have to be very appreciative of the energy transfer effects of suddenly stopping the string on these high KE bows. Check all of your screws, c-rings, etc. frequently. And if you're using a string/knoicking loop, cinch the knots like you've never had to before!
Old 02-06-2008, 06:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

How about a tied in nock? Just make one out of serving material. I too just bought a new Marquis last week. I've never used a kisser so its not an issue for me but reading you're thread made me think this might solve you're problem. You may have to tie it a bit larger than a normal nockset so you get a "feel" for it.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

I was thinking much the same as TX. If you could tie-in a nocking point securely enough, and large enough for you to feel it, then I thinkthat would solve your problem.

FWIW, I do know the issue was discussed among the corporate staff right after the bow was introduced but since I do not use a kisser button I do not remember what the suggested outcome was.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:56 AM
Fork Horn

It would have to be pretty large, to be felt through (a) mosquito screening when I'm swamp hunting in September, or (b) facemask when it's winter in northern WI. But I appreciate the thoughts!
Old 02-06-2008, 02:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bruce, Not sure what type of kisser button you use, but you might try a Saber comfort ring and serve it on instead of using locking rings. Anyone that wants a kisser that's what I normally do anyway.
I think it is much more secure and looks neater

Dan
Old 02-06-2008, 03:10 PM
Host of Hosts

I'm pretty sure Bowtech knew there would be a problem with kisser buttons. Just that the majority of shooters don't use them anymore.

Quick Reply: Bowtech/Diamond ShortStop issue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.