Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Good Fixed BH for Speed

Old 02-03-2003, 06:42 PM

Default Good Fixed BH for Speed

I'm shooting a 407+ grain 7595 Goldtip XT at 293fps. I'm generating 77ft-lbs of kinetic energy with this setup. I could use any expandable out there with this energy but really want a fixed blade broadhead for down range shots in the area of 40+ yards. I know, I know, some may say its unethical to take shots at that range, however, I have found that this distance of shot is the norm for elk...which is my dream pursuit. I'm looking for a fixed blade that will give me the best accuracy at this range. My bow is very well tuned and I'm getting bullet holes with a bareshaft with weight tape out to 15 yards. I just want good penetration downrange and a mechanical just won't do it for me. Any suggestions? Thanks for your time.

Old 02-03-2003, 07:47 PM
Spike

Default RE: Good Fixed BH for Speed

I've encountered your speed problem often over the years. I've had to resort to either slowing my fps or going to mechanicals. Last year I changed to Nitro-Stinger arrows and a 1" diameter broadhead. Don't care for the Stingers so this year I'll change back to a non-tapered shaft and Rocket's new Ultra 100 fixed blade b-head. It's 7/8" cut and people have said it shoots "like a dart". I hope that's good.

Old 02-03-2003, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

GVDocHoliday, Give a Montec or a Rocky Mountain Ironhead a try and get back to us with the results.

Old 02-04-2003, 06:19 AM

I agree with the Rocket Ultimate Steel fixed blades. They are supposed to fly awesome.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:45 AM

Doc, Ive had great results with Muzzy but my favorite is Wasp SST'S
Old 02-04-2003, 11:17 AM

I don't shoot at the speeds your talking about, but I like my SlickTrick broadheads verey much. Fly just like my field points at 40 yards.

www.slicktrick.net

Old 02-04-2003, 12:40 PM

Doc,
You might want to look at the Rocket Steelheads. They are a small cut expandable that has been shown to penetrate just as well as fixed heads. At your speed and KE, I would think it would be the ideal compromise for good flight and penetration.

Good luck.
Old 02-04-2003, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

Doc,
Try the four blade Muzzy. It's smaller cutting diameter won't plane as bad, but the extra blade will actually give you a larger hole.
Trebark

Become one with nature...then grill it.
Old 02-05-2003, 04:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lots of great choices around. I have had good luck with a lot of differnt heads, Muzzy, Rocky Mtn, wasp etc. The most accurate fixed blade head I have ever shot is the Slick trick. It's a 4 blade 1 1/8" head. Like I said though any quality head should fly well out of your setup provided you are using some helical on you fletchings and your bow is tuned well.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 02-05-2003, 07:41 AM

IT WOULD SEEM AS YOU MAY HAVE TO DO SOME EXPERAMENTING.
FORM WHAT A HAVE HEARD AND JUST READ, IT SEEMS MOST FIXED BLADES START PLANING. AS FOR FORTY YARD SHOTS PRACTICE, I SHOOT 245 FPS AND TOOK A NICE DOE AT 40 YARDS. BUT ELK I MYSELF WOULD PROABLY LEAN TORWARD A HEAVIER ARROW, ROCKY MNT. TITANUM 100 OR IRON HEAD 125 BOTH USE THE SAME BLADE. SEE WHAT GETS YOU THERE AT THE SPEED AND KE YOU WANT WITH ARRUACY. GOOD LUCK
THANKS

Quick Reply: Good Fixed BH for Speed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.