Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

RAGE Broadheads

Old 12-06-2007, 10:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: RAGE Broadheads

My only concern with them opening isn't really of it happening in flight, it's moreso the inevitible bumps and bangs in the treestand on bark or your clothes etc. I was getting my bow off the hook on a deer to swing to the opposite side of the tree and just barely snagged the back edge of one blade and it flopped open easily.

That made me a little nervous that I wouldn't notice one open or do something clumsy at the moment of truth so I just placed a little Rocket aerohead band on the blade shoulders up near the tip to add a little extra compression to keep them closed. I will probably lightly notch the blades here so the band doesn't want to roll because it is a slightly rounded surface.

If you're doing what your supposed to with them they aren't a problem but sometimes I'm like a bull in a China shop so I like the extra peace of mind.

Good broadhead, I'll havea quiver full of em' next season.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:28 PM

Here is a photo of a seven pointer I took early in the year with the Rage 2-blade. Massive holes! Third deer I have shot with the rages and none of them went further than 50yards.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

That rage really is a nice broadhead for an expandable.

I'm looking at the size of the chest cavity on that buck you harvested in the picture aboveand can safely assume it's a year and a half year old buck. Ever consider shootingdoes instead ofyoung bucks if it's just meat you're after? Adoe is much more of a challenge than an adolencent buckand it helps your herd by doing so. I think shooting young bucks is great for youngsters orbow hunters just starting out but it's a shame to shoot themafter you've taken a couple. Just food (venison of course) for thought.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:02 PM

No offense dopler but where I am hunting there is an overpopulation of deer! (Suburban Maryland)I am fortunate to be able tohunt a 16 acre tract of land that butts up to a statepark that allows no hunting. This tract of land will be developedthis spring to make way for 3 million dollar homesso practicing QDM is not an option I want to exercise at this location. The option I am practicing is putting deer meat in my freezer. A Tasty two and half year oldBuck is what I like...In fact the deer in the picture has been completely consumed by my family.

I will say I appreciate your concern on QDM, which I do practice at my other location I hunt. The otherlocation I have hunted for years and will for many more to come so I have a vested interest in seeing quality Bucks grow. But not the area where I took this seven pointer. I will continue to harvest everything I can until Janurary 31st.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:29 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Edooley, I appreciate your response and understand your rationale. A dialogue on deer management is an important one (to me anyway). I don't assume that my position is right and yours is wrong as to each his own, I can only convey my own point of view whichwillsoundridiculousto some and willresonatewith others. I would only counter to what you saidby saying that killing a young buck in a state with an overpopulation of deeris still counter productive regardless of thecircumstances sourounding a single parcel of land, the problem is bigger than any one parcel and is ultimately resolved by a deer management plan accepted by the masses. I know for a fact that Maryland throws doe tags at people if you want them andany resident who shoots severaldoes will get all the meat they want and will be doing theState a service at the same time. Good programs in generalstart with a minority of people practicing them until they become mainstream. JMHO[/align]