Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

broadheads

Old 11-30-2007, 03:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: broadheads

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

ORIGINAL: moose1915

if you are shooting animals with USED, UN-resharpened, broadheads, you are irresponsible AND setting yourself up for failure. The animals deserve better than you being too cheap to buy sharp blades for 10 bucks[:'(]
AMEN!!

nodog, I do replace my bladesThat makes them replaceable blade broadheads. I don't know what you are talking about[&:]I'm not sure you do either

Dan
OK
Old 12-01-2007, 05:41 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: nodog

ORIGINAL: annika3

Come on people lets get realistic. Why is every deer, no matter what BH you use and love always go down within 30-40 yards.

I've shot roughly 40 deer in my 26 years of bowhunting. Mostly good hits (double lung or heart)but some not soand I can think of only 2 that went down within 40yards.
Not kidding at all. All 3 this year have. I believe the razor sharp head deserves the credit. Only one a double lung. One back and through the liver and one in the back leg hitting the artery. Watched all fall. All suffered massive blood lose. Chuck Adams wrote an article recently declaring the same thing. I could have shot them again and I did one with my 36 yrd pin. It was already done. I didn't want to see it get up.The liver shot went about 20 from where it was hit. The first 2 only walking off after the hit. They never knew I was there. TheD lung ran and fell quickly. The 2 hit with g5's went for hundreds of yards. Never found the first and the second went several hundred yards. The first had been hit with 2 arrows. Left with one still in it. A quartering away shot that should have exited the far shoulder, deflected off a rib and ran right along the cage. Steped up and I gave it a 25 yrd broadside.

My rig is also very quiet. Even thedeer I've missed this year never heard the shot. I think that has something to do with them not running far off.

40 yrds is just a rough term. I didn't measure it but I know what it is. The deer weren't 60-65 yards out and were shot from around 20-25. Seems like 40 to me. Could have been 41. Whatdo you think would be more accurate? 50? 60? 70?

No head with a 60 degree edge can be razor sharp. When they start using them in surgery, I'll change my mind. If a slick trick is sharpened by laying it flat on a stone, it has 3 equal sides 120,120,120 with 2 60 degree edges making one. Put a 60 degree edge on a knife and see what happens. Nothing buta sharp splitting wedge. No axe. Prone to deflection.

SlickTricks are the sharpest BH I've ever held in my hand. They are sharp out of the pack, but when I run my G5 sharpener across them a few times, I've never seen any other broad head that sharp. This includes when I used to shoot ThunderHeads.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'not going to step into this argument because I don't use any of the listed brands,just want to add that I only trust myself to sharpen even factory sharpened replaceable blades. Same as I ALWAYS sharpen any new knife to put my own angle on it. I'm not on timetable or schedule to do these things as opposed to the factory workers.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:15 AM

I shot two doe in bow season this year with the muzzy 125gr. 3 blade and searched for 4 hours. Still looking for them. I had lumenok on the arrows,so I watched arrows hit at 30 yards,right behind the shoulder! any suggestions? Also just shot a bobcat with a mechanical,the cat only ran 10yards and piled up.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

All I know is as long as you have plenty of kinetic energy and all other things being equal,the larger cutting surface and diameter,the quicker the animal will expiredue to faster bleedout,wether fixed or expandable.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:42 AM

I'm shooting a mathews switchback XT @70lbs,beman340 arrows so there should be plenty of kenetic energy.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: slangdang

I shot two doe in bow season this year with the muzzy 125gr. 3 blade and searched for 4 hours. Still looking for them. I had lumenok on the arrows,so I watched arrows hit at 30 yards,right behind the shoulder! any suggestions? Also just shot a bobcat with a mechanical,the cat only ran 10yards and piled up.
you didnt hit em "right behind the shoulder" !
Old 12-01-2007, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

Iam eager to play with the new SILVER FLAME's from german kinetics. they are crazy expensive, but they are supposed to be the best edge you can buy. The makers kinda approach it like makers of a fine knife I think.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:26 AM

it certainly appeared to be in the right spot. but i guess i'll never know for sure. do you have any broadhead preferences?
Old 12-01-2007, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: StrutNtom

ORIGINAL: nodog

ORIGINAL: annika3

Come on people lets get realistic. Why is every deer, no matter what BH you use and love always go down within 30-40 yards.

I've shot roughly 40 deer in my 26 years of bowhunting. Mostly good hits (double lung or heart)but some not soand I can think of only 2 that went down within 40yards.
Not kidding at all. All 3 this year have. I believe the razor sharp head deserves the credit. Only one a double lung. One back and through the liver and one in the back leg hitting the artery. Watched all fall. All suffered massive blood lose. Chuck Adams wrote an article recently declaring the same thing. I could have shot them again and I did one with my 36 yrd pin. It was already done. I didn't want to see it get up.The liver shot went about 20 from where it was hit. The first 2 only walking off after the hit. They never knew I was there. TheD lung ran and fell quickly. The 2 hit with g5's went for hundreds of yards. Never found the first and the second went several hundred yards. The first had been hit with 2 arrows. Left with one still in it. A quartering away shot that should have exited the far shoulder, deflected off a rib and ran right along the cage. Steped up and I gave it a 25 yrd broadside.

My rig is also very quiet. Even thedeer I've missed this year never heard the shot. I think that has something to do with them not running far off.

40 yrds is just a rough term. I didn't measure it but I know what it is. The deer weren't 60-65 yards out and were shot from around 20-25. Seems like 40 to me. Could have been 41. Whatdo you think would be more accurate? 50? 60? 70?

No head with a 60 degree edge can be razor sharp. When they start using them in surgery, I'll change my mind. If a slick trick is sharpened by laying it flat on a stone, it has 3 equal sides 120,120,120 with 2 60 degree edges making one. Put a 60 degree edge on a knife and see what happens. Nothing buta sharp splitting wedge. No axe. Prone to deflection.

SlickTricks are the sharpest BH I've ever held in my hand. They are sharp out of the pack, but when I run my G5 sharpener across them a few times, I've never seen any other broad head that sharp. This includes when I used to shoot ThunderHeads.
Great!

My comments were *for* the replaceable razor sharp heads (that would include the tricks now that I've looked into them. They obviously have the correct angle) and *against* the one piece head like a hell razor/montec. Why meanv kept going on kind of just reinforces my suspicion that these boards are used to sell things by people who are affiliated with the product. They obviously didn't apply.

As far as sharpening something, I'm a finish carpenter and having/keeping razor sharp tools is just a day at the office for me. The angle is very important.

Just looked at their site. 22 degrees. Just what I was claiming.[8D]

Being sold something turns me off though. Sincerity is very important.

Quick Reply: broadheads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.