Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

broadheads

Old 11-29-2007, 02:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: broadheads

Here's my take. Have always shot thundeheads. This year I tried g5 montecs. I've never lost a deer. First 2 deer this year were lost with the first being hit twice. The second I found after 16 hours just because I wanted to know what happened. Arrow entered on a perfect 20 yrd broadside shot and exited out the far back leg. I stopped using them at once. Went back to thunderheads and am back to usuall.3 deer taken with 2 poor shots none going more than 40 yrds after the shot.

There are reasons why the head failed. The most important is they are not nor can they ever be razor shap unless they are changed. The cutting angle of something razor sharp is between 14 and 20 degrees. The g5 is 60. I don't believe any of the heads similar to them are any different. HellrazorsandSlicktricks included.

These words are very true: A razor sharp head is a must and can make bad shots recovered animals.

FWIW Spitfires have been proving that they do very well. People are recovering game using them at a very high rate.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good argument but it hardly applies to 2 blade versus 4 blade. I'll take a hole anyday over a slit. Lots of Good broadheads out there, use what turns your crank

Dan
Old 11-29-2007, 03:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

nodog if you think Tricks are not Razor sharp then you haven't used them

Dan
Old 11-29-2007, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

First of all, Roskoe, Your thoughts were right along with mine.I was actually going to use 12 1/2" blades to equal 3". Sounds impressive but would make a very small hole.

Second, I've shot 5 deer this year and all have gone down within 10 yards no matter where I hit the deer. (I'm kidding)

Come on people lets get realistic. Why is every deer, no matter what BH you use and love always go down within 30-40 yards.

I've shot roughly 40 deer in my 26 years of bowhunting. Mostly good hits (double lung or heart)but some not soand I can think of only 2 that went down within 40yards.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: annika3

Come on people lets get realistic. Why is every deer, no matter what BH you use and love always go down within 30-40 yards.

I've shot roughly 40 deer in my 26 years of bowhunting. Mostly good hits (double lung or heart)but some not soand I can think of only 2 that went down within 40yards.
Not kidding at all. All 3 this year have. I believe the razor sharp head deserves the credit. Only one a double lung. One back and through the liver and one in the back leg hitting the artery. Watched all fall. All suffered massive blood lose. Chuck Adams wrote an article recently declaring the same thing. I could have shot them again and I did one with my 36 yrd pin. It was already done. I didn't want to see it get up.The liver shot went about 20 from where it was hit. The first 2 only walking off after the hit. They never knew I was there. TheD lung ran and fell quickly. The 2 hit with g5's went for hundreds of yards. Never found the first and the second went several hundred yards. The first had been hit with 2 arrows. Left with one still in it. A quartering away shot that should have exited the far shoulder, deflected off a rib and ran right along the cage. Steped up and I gave it a 25 yrd broadside.

My rig is also very quiet. Even thedeer I've missed this year never heard the shot. I think that has something to do with them not running far off.

40 yrds is just a rough term. I didn't measure it but I know what it is. The deer weren't 60-65 yards out and were shot from around 20-25. Seems like 40 to me. Could have been 41. Whatdo you think would be more accurate? 50? 60? 70?

No head with a 60 degree edge can be razor sharp. When they start using them in surgery, I'll change my mind. If a slick trick is sharpened by laying it flat on a stone, it has 3 equal sides 120,120,120 with 2 60 degree edges making one. Put a 60 degree edge on a knife and see what happens. Nothing buta sharp splitting wedge. No axe. Prone to deflection.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

My brother has shot deer with thunderheads and they took only a step, looked around and fell over. That's stealthy.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

nodog, it's obvious you nothing about Tricks or their blade angles

NAP makes a great head, I've said that before, but The Slick Trick is the best replaceable blade broadhead I've used in 40 years of bowhunting.

Dan
Old 11-30-2007, 06:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

nodog, it's obvious you nothing about Tricks or their blade angles

NAP makes a great head, I've said that before, but The Slick Trick is the best replaceable blade broadhead I've used in 40 years of bowhunting.

Dan
You could be right. Have been aroundsince they came out and heard plenty of guys complain about their sharpness althoughI haven't for a few seasons. If they are replaceable you wouldn't be sharpening them as mentioned and they don't fit the description. I did use that 2 letter word "if". My point is if you have somethingmeasurable, it takes the guess work out of it. If applied things are quickly eliminated. I could have just described the heads and left the names out From the description people could use the info to determine what a good head verses a bad one according to my O would be.

As far as to their effectiveness, the trickshaven't been time tested like the thunderhead has. Give the tricks a few decades and will see.I don't know how many animals have fallen and been recovered to the TH, but I'm sure the numbersare staggering.

The spitfires mention were based on a study conducted by someone who tests them. He puts them through hell. I'm sure he's tested the tricks, I just never looked.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: peregordusmc

I havent even sharpened them once either.

And yes i have taken deer with them.

I havent lost a deer or missed a shot since i bought that package of broadheads and bow.
if you are shooting animals with USED, UN-resharpened, broadheads, you are irresponsible AND setting yourself up for failure. The animals deserve better than you being too cheap to buy sharp blades for 10 bucks[:'(]
Old 11-30-2007, 02:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: moose1915

if you are shooting animals with USED, UN-resharpened, broadheads, you are irresponsible AND setting yourself up for failure. The animals deserve better than you being too cheap to buy sharp blades for 10 bucks[:'(]
AMEN!!

nodog, I do replace my bladesThat makes them replaceable blade broadheads. I don't know what you are talking about[&:]I'm not sure you do either

Dan

Quick Reply: broadheads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.