Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 need help with broadhead selection >

need help with broadhead selection

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

need help with broadhead selection

Old 10-22-2007, 09:59 PM

Default need help with broadhead selection

I'm relatively new to bowhunting, I shoot a #55 recurve and need some broadheads. After reading up on them I am very interested in the stinger broadheads. They appear durable, to have good flight, and deadly. But I do not know what kind to get serrated edges or not, and whether to get the bleeders. Since I shoot a recurve penetration is importand I figure the bleeders resist some penetration. As for the edges the serrated edges and the fact that they cause more tissue damage sounds great but is that just advertising? and do they have any cons compared to the more traditional blade, such as: durability and sharpness?
Old 10-22-2007, 10:57 PM

Default RE: need help with broadhead selection

Used both serrated and straight blade steelforce heads over the years. I found that the straight blade work better. Blood trail was better and penetration was better. Shooting a recurve I would only look at cut on contact heads. Magnus, Bear, Steelforce all make good heads. Also check out the G5 line. I have never found bleeders to be a problem. They are thin and small and will help with leaving a hole in the deer. If you can't decide, try both when practicing. See which heads penetrate better then decide.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

I'd go with the Stingers
Old 10-24-2007, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

The stingers are excellent heads. The bleeders are smallish so they don't hinder penetration to much, but they do add a bit more cut. I don't think you would be hurt by using them. That said however I think I would still prefer to use the 2 blade versions, the 125's are my personal favorite.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:31 PM

Stay with cut on contact heads they are better for recurves and long bows penetration. the thinner single blades will penetrate better than a three are four blade head. but use your jugment on that. You must remimber your 55 lb recurve is putting out the energy of a about a 45 lb compound with the same arrow and I would tell the compound shooter the same thing at 45 lbs. At least you are shooting some good poundage with your recurve for hunting.

good luck
put them down