Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 broadhead selection for whitetails >

broadhead selection for whitetails

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

broadhead selection for whitetails

Old 08-28-2005, 09:00 PM

Default broadhead selection for whitetails

Hey guys, im new to archery hunting and i was wondering if there was an experienced hunter out there who can help me with choosing broadheads for this upcoming season.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: broadhead selection for whitetails

Hi leadslinger3436, welcome to the forums. Can you tell us a little about your setup that you plan to hunt with?
Old 08-28-2005, 09:19 PM

well i see that you are too from pennsylvania so you kinda get the i dea of where im coming from! Well im hunting on my 6 acres of land which is full of locust and oak trees. The land backs up to a big creek on the bottom side, its flat in the middle, and it has a sharp bank with an open grass field on top. the woods are so thick that i will most likely only be taking 10 - 15yrd shots. My tree stand overlooks a small plot of clover where ive been seeing around 7-12 deer per night and occasionally around 11 am. Im shooting a jennings buckmaster bow with Redhead carbon fury arrows with 100 grain tips.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:32 PM

Thanks for the welcome and help by the way!
Old 08-28-2005, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

u cant go wrong with either the 3 or 4 blade muzzy's the thunderheads magnus stingersor any of the wasp heads. Buy the best u can afford, u'll be thankful u did!
Old 08-28-2005, 11:17 PM
Typical Buck

There are many that are good, if you are looking for specific heads, my only choices would be Magnus stingers , Muzzy's, thunderheads, ( BigBulls check this out, yea I'm going to say it) Slick Tricks. Every one has there own choice, stay with the one that are proven heads, don't buy into gimmicks. Good luck, and boys let's give this guy some real info, not a war.lou-lou
Old 08-29-2005, 12:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Now that wasn't soo hard was it Lou Lou.

The broadhead is the ONLY piece of equipment that you will purchase that actually kills the animal so buy a quality broadhead.

Personally I would stick with a fixed blade head. There are many out there that will fly every bit as good as your practice tipped arrows. With a fixed balde head there is nothing that can go wrong provided you buy a quality broadhead and don't go the cheap rout. They work every time.

My personal favorites are, as Lou Lou mentioned, Slick Tricks. http://slicktrick.net/ However, there are many broadheads being made that will do a wonderful job killing animals.

The main thing I look for in a broadhead is its durability............. I prefer a steel furrel, thick blades, and an excelent blade retention system.

Second is its flight characteristics. Second because if it won't hold together who cares how well it flies.

Third is the cutting diameter. I don't want an ultra small cutting diameter but I also don't want a 2 inch cut either. I prefer to compromise with something with three or four blades between 1 - 1.25 inches. This makes a large enough hole but does not hinder penetration by having to cut huge amounts of tissue and bone.

Fourth is the blade sharpness, any QUALITY broadhead will have sharp blades. They may not be the sharpest made (someone has to be the sharpest and someone has to be the dullest) but they will be plenty sharp enough to efficiently slice through an animal.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can check out my website. Read through the mech vs fixed and be sure to check out the features page this month. It's a lot of reading but it will help you choose the right broadhead for your setup.
http://www.broadheadtests.com/index.html
Old 08-29-2005, 05:59 AM

I appreciate the help guys. i just printed off the Slick Trick order form and im gonna send in for the 100's. Hopefully ill get some good results....... Thanks again,
Leadslinger
Old 08-29-2005, 09:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Im shooting a jennings buckmaster bow with Redhead carbon fury arrows with 100 grain tips
I think you made a good choice considering your setup. Either one of the new super short replacement blade broadheads like the Slick Tricks or one of the modest cutting diameter expandables, like the Rocket Steelhead, would have been my suggestion.

Quick Reply: broadhead selection for whitetails

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.