Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Found a kink in the Hot Dot gonna drop it >

Found a kink in the Hot Dot gonna drop it

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Found a kink in the Hot Dot gonna drop it

Old 10-17-2007, 04:35 PM

Default Found a kink in the Hot Dot gonna drop it

Well as much as I love the Hot Dot I have found a unfixable kink that applies to me. My sight is mounted on my Mathews Drenalin. I have been tuning the bow with my hunting setup and have the bow dropping arrows on top of each other at all ranges. I had complained a bit earlier about the sight washing out a bit when the sun was behind me. I now realize it was in fact due to the bow torquing in my hand.

With my Mathews I must use a open handed grip in order to avoid imparting any torque on my shot. With this grip the sight seems to lean slightly in a direction that washes out the led dots. If I close my hand I can torque the bow and twist the sight so that it is straight again and all of the led's become visible. This flaw may be a result of my right handed left eye dominant shooting style. My sight is set close to the riser somewhat and this causes the dots to disappear in my sight window. I may play with it a bit more and see if I can fix it but if not this thing is going on my backup and I will go Spott Hogg w/wrap.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:56 PM

Default RE: Found a kink in the Hot Dot gonna drop it

Would an aftermarketgrip make any difference?
Old 10-17-2007, 07:08 PM

No, I doubt it. My bow is shooting lights out with the stock grip and my hand I doubt any other grip would help. In order to see the led's I have to impart torque to my bow grip and another grip would just throw things off I think.

If I could set the 3rd axis on the sight it would cure the problem 100%. it is on that Axis that the sight is tilted off center. I dunno if it is my eye, the bow, or the sight but it just isn't working on my Drenalin. When I have more time I will shim the sight on the 3rd axis and set it up on my other bow as I do like it alot and it is a great tree stand pendulum. It is a shame but I only discovered the flaw after a long range session with my hunting arrows and new slick tricks.

My problem now is that I was gonna use the bow next week for a hog hunt and the new spot hogg I ordered is coming via ups ground and will likely not make it.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:12 PM

well if you just can stand it anylonger email me and i'll send you my address
Old 10-18-2007, 02:32 PM

Can you shim the mount where it contacts the riser?
Old 10-18-2007, 04:09 PM

Yeah I can shim it. I can also fiddlewith the plastic screen for the LED's and get an image. The problem is I have a hunt booked on Tuesday next week. I toyed with the idea of giving the sight away to a deserving archer as I bought it during a time I was between jobs. I recently accepted another position after waiting all summer so I thought maybe another archer could use it. I will see after I get the Spot Hogg mounted up what I am gonna do with it.

I can get it to work but I would have to play with the 3rd Axis a bit on my Mathews. My Bowtech doesn't seem to have as much of an affect on the sight. It's just b/c of my eyes that the sight scope rests so close to the riser that it does this. I wonder is shimming it on the 3rd Axis would mess with the pendulum function at all?