Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Drop Away fast or drop away slow? >

Drop Away fast or drop away slow?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Drop Away fast or drop away slow?

Old 08-21-2007, 11:23 AM
bigcountry

Default Drop Away fast or drop away slow?

I have been setting up my drop aways to drop very fast, within 3-5" of movement from full draw. But have recently started reading alot about some rests like smart rest and vaportrail that says you want it to stay up as much as possible without fletch clearance. They say it assists in guidance.

Two schools of thoughts. Any ideas?

Old 08-21-2007, 11:32 AM

Default RE: Drop Away fast or drop away slow?

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I have been setting up my drop aways to drop very fast, within 3-5" of movement from full draw. But have recently started reading alot about some rests like smart rest and vaportrail that says you want it to stay up as much as possible without fletch clearance. They say it assists in guidance.

The rest is unsupported immediately so how much guidance can it provide? (even if it is still up it has no resistance to force on it.) It's made to get out of the way so get it out of the way.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:37 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

The rest is unsupported immediately so how much guidance can it provide? (even if it is still up it has no resistance to force on it.) It's made to get out of the way so get it out of the way.
Ok there's one persons vote. Fast as possible. But its not always the case I found out that it is unsupported immediately. Depends on the angle of the cable, I found out from some tuners.

Appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

This isn't really a vote for either or but I think it is a matter of personal preference. Some folks shoot a whisker biscuit and that supports the arrow all the way through the fletching and they shoot just fine. Whatever rest that gives you confidence in your shot is the one that works. Sorry not a real answer but any number of rests that offer all manner of arrow "support" seem to shoot just fine.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:16 PM

I like to have asmuch supprt as possible. But, this does have it's problems. First, is tuning it so that it can stay up to an inch or so of the fletchings then drop. Next is that with this added length in contact it is subject to any torque you may put into it which could affect the arrow. With proper form and grip this can beeliminated. I have tuned my drop aways like this and they are shooting very well.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like them to drop away fast. Once you release the arrow is going where it is going to go and even with a fast drop away you can still influence the arrow within the small window it is supported.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:23 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

I like them to drop away fast. Once you release the arrow is going where it is going to go and even with a fast drop away you can still influence the arrow within the small window it is supported.
I agree. I just heard spot hogg had a few articles on teh subject. Still trying to locate the article. What got me thinking was I was watching teh vapor trail movies and they were trying to sell the idea of slow drop away. Confused me some.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

They do sell that on their videos.I think their thought process is that the arrow is stabilized longer.

However, my thought process is that if the arrow is spined properly and your bow is tuned properly you shouldn't need to stabilize the arrow longer.

I'm happy with how my QAD works and see no need for longer contact.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:05 PM

I think that the longer the arrow is supported, then once it drops it will not have enought time to drop and bounce back up to interfere with the fletchings. That way if you do not have any of the drop away rest with Lock Down technology, it will help if you are having vane contact.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's possible. The LD will help if that could be a problem and I'm sure that is why QAD developed that model.

I don't have that issue with my QAD hunter model though and it drops right away. I had to adjust my rest forward which would make it drop sooner to clear up my problem. Or, maybe it settles back down faster after the bounce.

I really wishI had a high speed camera to do some testing on this issue with my drop away and a friend's TT drop away.

Quick Reply: Drop Away fast or drop away slow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.