Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Rage: are they worth the hype? >

Rage: are they worth the hype?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Rage: are they worth the hype?

Old 10-17-2007, 12:39 PM

Default Rage: are they worth the hype?

I have always stood by fixed blades for a couple of reasons. You know they'll open and the penetration. I shoot montecs now, but I have experimented shooting mechanicals before the montec to try and get better arrow flight. I lost a deer using the mechanical I was using, I look back now and know it was a poor head. I can't remember the exact name but it was a three blade from Rocky Mountain. They say these fixed blades today fly like a field point but I don't think so. I still have some trouble sometimes getting them tuned in. Anyway, I see and hear about the Rage two blades everywhere I go. Are they worth it? Would you switch from fixed blades for them?
Old 10-17-2007, 02:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rage: are they worth the hype?

there are a lot of forums saying that they work really well for killing but the blades do not work right sometimes. if you get them you have to make sure that the blades are secured properly cause they can fall out of place easily. if you do that then they will shoot very good. i have some rage 3 blades. everytime ive shot them ive made sure the blades have been secure and theyve worked for me.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:03 PM
Fork Horn

ABSOLUTELY!!

They fly like my FP, open up a huge hole and penetrate likea fixed head. I prefer the 2 blade.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

get Piston Points....ask the White Knuckle Guys....they are the REAL Open from the Rear broadheads!!
Old 10-17-2007, 04:12 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Chasebaker

get Piston Points....ask the White Knuckle Guys....they are the REAL Open from the Rear broadheads!!

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Whew, now that I'm done laughing haveyou seen the devastion these Rage heads have been doing.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:16 PM

Have you gone through all the tuning things with your bow? You should be able to get the Montecs to fly just like field points. Having said that, I am also interested in the Rage two blade. They fly just like field points as well, and look like that 2" entry hole could really put an animal on the ground in a hurry. I toted some ofthem around this season and actually fired one at a large antelope buck, who jumped the string and caused the Rage head to rip a big entry hole in a cactus. Maybe next year . . . .
Old 10-17-2007, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

rocket mechs esp steelhead best head out there period. as for the devistation of a 2 blade rage they actually only cut a 2" slice if you take a 1.5" head with three blades its cutting just as much tissue or more. ill go measure one. and they do not penatrate like or better then fixed heads, they have a lot of blade to push through the deer and i know wiht most bows they work fine but the shows that use them have a lot of arrows sticking out of deer kill shots for sure but not as many pass throughs. if you have a big head its just not going to go through as easy. over the top heads work great my family and i have shot them for years and taken more then 100 deer with them.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:40 PM

They fly great, i have the 3 blades and shot 2 deer with them this year and they had huge entry holes and didn't make it far. Not as much blood as i would have liked to seen, and the blades will come out in your quiver easily, also both deer i shot i had the blades get bent on them without hitting any bone so the durability of the blades is very questionable. All in all if you hit the pump station, he ain't going to make it far but if you hit the shoulder bone im thinking it's not going to be you favorite head after you go looking. I still have mixed feelings about them but ive always been a fixed head person...
Old 10-18-2007, 01:31 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Bradkoz

rocket mechs esp steelhead best head out there period. as for the devistation of a 2 blade rage they actually only cut a 2" slice if you take a 1.5" head with three blades its cutting just as much tissue or more. ill go measure one. and they do not penatrate like or better then fixed heads, they have a lot of blade to push through the deer and i know wiht most bows they work fine but the shows that use them have a lot of arrows sticking out of deer kill shots for sure but not as many pass throughs. if you have a big head its just not going to go through as easy. over the top heads work great my family and i have shot them for years and taken more then 100 deer with them.
You need to know and use the product before you talk about it. The Rage 2 blade does actually open beyond 2" on entry (very close to 3") before they slide in to the 2" position).

This has been beaten do death about the passthroughs. First of all the Drury's are shooting very low poundage bows (in the 50's). And Tammi Gregory from the Wild Outdoors, who shoots only 44lbs, has had multiple passthroughs. There has been multiple threads in regards to the devastation these heads have been doing to deer on this forum and on archery talk and mathews forum.

I understand you like Rocket heads and thats fine but why must you continue to put down the Rage head every time there is a thread about them. Talk about the Rockets on a Rocket thread.

As you have seen I have never said anything bad about the Rockets, (even though I certainly could). If you like them, great, continue to use them and let the Rage continue todo its job being the most devastating head out there.

If I remember correctly you are the guy who put down Jay Gregory for shooting a 190" in Iowa this year with a Rage. If who was still using Rocket (whichhe was using up to 2 years ago) would you still have a problem with his deer?

O, and by the way, on an earlier post you made a while ago you said you and your have taken over 50 deer with them and now it's a over a 100. Must have been one heck of a year so far.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:31 PM

annika, why don't you just hang up your hat? You've lost all credibility here, we all know you're a Field Logic employee http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2215477&mpage=3&key=&#231044 0

Quick Reply: Rage: are they worth the hype?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.