Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Climbing sticks?

Old 10-10-2007, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Climbing sticks?

I need to get at least 6 sets of them....the best deal I can find is through Sportsmans Guide. They have a 20ft stick for under $40.

Gimme some feedback if you have ever used these, or if you know of a better deal. I honestly can't see how they could be bad....they may not be ultra light, etc....but they also don't cost $100 and I could care less how much they weigh really. I'm not planning on carrying them in and out, just setting up for the season.

let me know if you have any opinions, thanks!

-Mike
Old 10-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Spike

Default RE: Climbing sticks?

If you are going to leave them, they are probably fine. You might also check out your local W^!!-M^rt. I saw they had some in our local store pretty cheap. They looked to be decently built.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:18 PM
Fork Horn

the only thing I'll say is watch out for the cheapies, it seems the way they save money on production is that instead of using cinch straps or ratchet straps they usually provide ropes for attaching them to the tree. The cheap ones I've got have a really small nylon rope to tie them to the tree, I just don't trust them for an entire season I'd prefer the nylon straps if it was up to me. Worth a little extra money
Old 10-11-2007, 01:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a set from the guide. You have to have a straight tree to put them on. And if the diameter of the tree is small. it makes the steps too tight to the tree. And that makes for an uncomfortable climb. I prefer sectional pieces that allow for cooked trees etc. Lone wolf steps are great but a bit pricey.