Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 What if you dont need or want a "forgiving" bow. >

What if you dont need or want a "forgiving" bow.

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

What if you dont need or want a "forgiving" bow.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What if you dont need or want a "forgiving" bow.

SHot a lot of bows lately and all the guys at the shop kept showing me the forgiving bows with the long bracke height and were smooth and a bit slower.

I didnt shoot any of those any better or worse then the shorter faster bows. What Im looking for is a one pin bow. My current bow lets me shoot our to about 35 yards with one pin and is a couple of inches high at 20 and a couple low at 35.

I guess I was getting frustrated with all the performance bows I looked at and was basically talked out of them. In long I feel like I be disapointed with a bow that shoots my hunting set up less the 300fps. Is this the wrong way of looking at a new purchase? I am wrong trying to get the fastest bow I can shoot good?
Old 09-30-2007, 11:02 AM

Default RE: What if you dont need0 want a "forgiving" bow.

Sounds like the PSE X Force may be the bow for you
Old 09-30-2007, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't went to a shop that had an X force I could try. I would like to though. I just cant get over reading that I shouldnt be looking at just FPS of a bow but I honestly don't see much of a difference in shooting the difference types of bows. Maybe I need more then just 10 shots or so with each just don't know.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:58 AM

What I have found is that the "forgiving" aspect of a bow doesn't become all that apparent until conditions are less than textbook - likehaving little target panicor from an awkward fieldposition. The fliers you are going to get sometimes under these circumstances will generally be greater from a shorter bow with less brace height than a longer bow with more brace height. Maybe on the order of 50% more in extreme circumstances. I guess you weigh that against the trajectory and penetration benefits of more arrow speed, and make the choice.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:36 PM
bigcountry

Every new bowhunter goes thru this. But, what they won't know until years later is, it matters in a tree, with a shot at a odd position. Or the shakes due to a nice rack. Thats where it matters.

If you have rush a shot so much, you can't find the range of an animal. then most likely, you shouldn't have taken the shot anyway.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess Im just not asking the right questions.

Im not in inexperienced archer. I dont hunt out of a tree stand any more. I havent froze or got the shakes from a deer in a long time. None of them are the issues Im talking about.

Never thought it would be this frustrating trying to figure out which bow to get. Thanks forthe advice anyway.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:40 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Duckbutter48

I guess Im just not asking the right questions.

Im not in inexperienced archer. I dont hunt out of a tree stand any more. I havent froze or got the shakes from a deer in a long time. None of them are the issues Im talking about.

Never thought it would be this frustrating trying to figure out which bow to get. Thanks forthe advice anyway.
I guess its a strange concept to me, anyone asking what bow or gun they should get. I always pretty well knew what I wanted. I am not doggin you, just not sure what you wanting from us? I also never understood anybody talking me out of anything.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. But when you said people are talking you into a more forgiving bow, and you really didn't know your draw length was 1.5" shorter than you thought, I made conclusions based off of that. Sorry again.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

No offense taken. I was told at the "Pro Shop" my draw length was 31" about 8 years ago when I bought my PSE. Prior to that my previous bows were purchased when I was young and still growing.
As far as wanting a bow fast enough for just one pin Ido a lot of stalking with the bow and dont usually have a lot of time to range before a shot. I figure we all want the fastest\flattest shooting guns whats difference in bows.

How did you know what kind of bow you wanted? Im at the guns range and have many buds with different guns\rifles pistolsI get to try out or handle before buying. I can look at my reloading manual and tell you fps etc.. I just dont have that with the bow, everyone I shoot with has old hand me down stuff and the only local shop we have is Bowtech and of course the sun sets and rise with that brand over there. I guess Ive been shooting the same old crappy bow so long, everything I shoot feels a heck of a lot better to shoot. Im not frustrated with you guys just with myselfbecause I know ifI purchase one, I'll prob see something a month later I should have bought is all.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:06 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Duckbutter48

How did you know what kind of bow you wanted?
Usually I am never in the market for a new bow. I have had a bow of some sort for 25 years. So I shoot that one for many years, and end up seeing a friend, and trying out his, and if I like it, I go out and buy one, or just keep shooting what I have been shooting. Rarely do you get unbiased answers about "which bow should I buy", or "what gun caliber is the best" on forums.So you say you have went and shot them all, you say your experienced bowhunter, so surely you probably have an idea of what you want.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Duckbutter,

Hold off for a while. If you have any Martin dealers arond you might want to look at the new FireCat they're coming out with for 2008. 345 IBO, 7" brace height, 33" A2A, and priced around $400 from what I'm told.

That's with a hybrid cam. It's not smooth drawing, but nothing is that gets that kind of speed. Of course, I only shoot about 53# so there are no harsh cams at that weight. I wonder what that bad boy wou8ld do with a set of Nitrous X cams on it? Gotta find out, I guess.

Quick Reply: What if you dont need or want a "forgiving" bow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.