Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Mechanicals and steep shots >

Mechanicals and steep shots

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Mechanicals and steep shots

Old 09-21-2007, 10:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default Mechanicals and steep shots

i am on a mission to put things to the test lately just tired of all the BS from people who havent really used things they hate. so i shot over ten shots with one rocket steelhead (all the blades still opened even when stuffed pretty bad with foam) into my deer target at angles that id never even think of shooting a deer at. i took pics but wont be back to post them till sunday night or monday. three shots i took were in the back of the lund area and so steep that thearrow almost touches the back leg of the target, just about straight away and guess what stuck right in there no problems and this is on a stiff wal-mart deer target not a squishy fur and skin animal. its alway been my therory that if anything does happen the blade that catches first will actually pull the broadhead into the deer not puch it away, just think of it this way

if your driving along and your right front tire all at once just caught something what way would the car go. not going away from the point of resistance. going toward it.

im gonna test a head with the winglets on it, cheapy silver strikes, and see what happens. probably when i get back sunday but ill have pics for you guys on monday for sure.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mechanicals and steep shots

Well first off a deer target is noting like shooting the real thing. You dont have bone, hair or anything like that to deal with. I dont care what kind of foam it is, a broadhead is going to stick in better than hide or ribs. So the test isnt really accurate. Ive only had one instance where an expandable defflected because of a blade contacting first. I was shooting at a doe with a spitfire and the doe was facing me and jumped the string. She ducked low enough the blade nicked the bottom of her chin and deflected down into the front of theneck right at the white patchand slid along the neck and came back out the front of the neck just above the sternum. Contrary to popular believe the same thing can happen to fixed blade heads also. I have had that happen twice. Both were very steep angles and one the broadhead just slid along the hide for about 8 inches and then pierced the hide but never dug in any deeper. The other time the arrow pierced the hide but stayed between the ribs and hide all the way from the second to last rib until the shoulder, it finaly entered the chest cavity right in front of the heart. That is real proof that shows itcan happen. Due mechanicals work, of course they do but should only be used on broadside or maybe slightly quartering away shots.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:03 PM
Fork Horn

like i said the shots were something id never shoot at an animal but i think the stiff foam would be more likely to deflect the shot then hide (if you hit ribs on a steep angle any head is likely to slide down them or away) but it should go into most areas fine and i think ill try shooting the steelhead at a piece of luane (thin board) to simulate ribs ill even cut it like ribs and put it on the target see what happens, also ill try the heads i have with bigger cuts and those little winglets on the blades, i think these are more likely to do it then the compact steelhead design. i do remeber getting a deer that i hit 1/4 away and by the time it got there the deer was moving more away, my head went right where it should and actually cut two ribs in half and then into the chest. nasty wound when i took the skin off. so im pretty confident in any shot that should be taken theyll work but ill test it out some more. ill have pics monday night.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

I don't think you understand. When aBH kicks from angled shots it loses all its straight forward kinetic energy. It doesn't matter if it kicks the BH intowards the deer,you are going to lose penetration.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:03 PM
Fork Horn

i know that, but im saying if it does kick, my therory is that it would move it inward, im sure it doesnt loose all its energy and a few inches of pentration would be better then slicing the side of the deers ribs open.

sorry i didnt get a chance to load pics or do any other test, had to work late last two days unexpectedly.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

If a blade makes contact first the tip of that broadhead is goint to kick away from the blade making contact. You said a few inches of penetration is better than slicing the side of a deers ribs open, neither sound like a very effective means of dispatching a deer quickly or humanely. If you shoot fold back style expandables you need to stay clear of severly quartering shots. If the blade is going to contact before the tip does, you in my opinion are takeing to steep of an angled shot. I dont care if its fixed blade or not if the blade contacts before the tip you are asking for problems.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:22 PM
Fork Horn

yeah thats what i was saying that you should take shots like that and that slicing the ribs or gettting little penetration is a good way to kill deer

i dont take shots like that but for those who do and for those who swear the heads kick out so far ive had none and im trying to do it, still not saying it cant happen but just reporting what im finding so far.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well brad, I have real world experience with expandables kicking from a blade contacting before the tip. You can experiment all you want on a foam target, your results arent going to amount to squat. A foam target and a live deer are to completely different things and a broadhead will not perform the same on both. The fact of the matter is expandables are fine for broadside or slightly quartering aways shots but deffinetly area bad idea for steep angled shots, not that any broadhead is a good idea for that kind of shot.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:18 AM
Fork Horn

your really good at repeating yourself and making it sound as if im incouraging bad shots. next chance i get to take steep shots on 10 or more deer at one time ill let you no how they went but for now ill stick with the foam target, not sure what the heck you think im supposed to test this on. i guess we should all just take your word for it. ive taken shots that were steep (deer turned away more when i fired) with no problems but this hasnt happen much and theres no way i could come on here and say "it works cause it worked for me" if you dont like the way im testing it out thats fine and i appreciate your input but i think some people would at least like to see what i find out.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:07 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

but im saying if it does kick, my therory is that it would move it inward,
Could you explain your theory on that? That defies simple laws of nature and physics. Curious as to how you believe the arrow could actually kick inward?

Quick Reply: Mechanicals and steep shots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.