HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Mechanicals and steep shots
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2007, 11:14 AM
passthru79
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mechanicals and steep shots

Well first off a deer target is noting like shooting the real thing. You dont have bone, hair or anything like that to deal with. I dont care what kind of foam it is, a broadhead is going to stick in better than hide or ribs. So the test isnt really accurate. Ive only had one instance where an expandable defflected because of a blade contacting first. I was shooting at a doe with a spitfire and the doe was facing me and jumped the string. She ducked low enough the blade nicked the bottom of her chin and deflected down into the front of theneck right at the white patchand slid along the neck and came back out the front of the neck just above the sternum. Contrary to popular believe the same thing can happen to fixed blade heads also. I have had that happen twice. Both were very steep angles and one the broadhead just slid along the hide for about 8 inches and then pierced the hide but never dug in any deeper. The other time the arrow pierced the hide but stayed between the ribs and hide all the way from the second to last rib until the shoulder, it finaly entered the chest cavity right in front of the heart. That is real proof that shows itcan happen. Due mechanicals work, of course they do but should only be used on broadside or maybe slightly quartering away shots.