Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Hellrazor vs. G5 Montec???? >

Hellrazor vs. G5 Montec????

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Hellrazor vs. G5 Montec????

Old 09-20-2007, 05:51 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Hellrazor vs. G5 Montec????

Oh yea, I sharpened them until they were shaving me. Maybe it just hit just right to skid instead of dig. I will continue to evaluate them all season.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

There isnt a broadhead out there that wont skid or get deflected with the right conditions. The montecs do need a little work to get them shaving sharp out of the box. I have the G5 diamond stone and if you wet it down and do a few light strokes on each side they are shaving sharp. Bigcountry puts a little more time and effort into it but really doesnt take much.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:11 PM

everyone always complains about the bad bloodtrails with montecs
Old 09-21-2007, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Id be willing to bet that everyone that is complaining about bloodtrails arent touching up those blades and getting them shaving sharp. It makes a big differance when it comes to blood trails. There has been posts before on how sharpness matters and for the best blood trails your heads need to be sharp.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:22 PM
Typical Buck

I have used the montecs for two years now and they are setup to go out with me this weekend when season opens. I have taken one doe each year for the past two years with them and had complete pass throughs with both. No need for a blood trail on either because I watched both deer go less than 70 yards and then fall over. I never touched them up after taking them out of the package either. I will defenitely do it this year from reading big and passthru's posts.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

passthru, you are correct at first I didn't touch them up but I did get pass throughs on whatever I shot. I did later start to hone them on a diamond and conventional stone, I'll be the first to admit I'm not the best at putting an edge on things but was never able to get them as sharp as my NAP heads right out of the package. I really don't have the time to spend sharpening my NEW broadheads, I'll stick w/ my spitfires and hellrazors
Old 09-24-2007, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ACPOSSETIM, I agree. I dont really have or am I willing to devote any time to sharpening brand new heads. Thats one reason my wife is shooting hellrazors. Montecs are great heads when they are sharp. I just dont think you should have to sharpen a new head, they should come that way.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:23 AM

No broad head will remedy a misplaced shot any sharp broad head will work if properly placed and in good tune Ive used cut on impact type blades with best results using tested broad heads Ive had one that planed strange right out of the box and also ones that Ive shot deer with appeared OK but would plane when shot This was my thought on the welded hell razor would it be as strong as the forged montec and maintain good flight after going through an animal.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:11 AM
Spike

Have been using the G5 Montecs the past 3 years. I have had not reason to try the Hellrazors this year. The Montecs have yet to dissapoint me. They do not "feel" as sharp, but they put a lickin' on deer. I usually do not touch them up right out of the package and have had no problems with blood trails to date.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:46 AM

I've already harvested a buck with the hellrazors and I love em'. My bow is shooting 300 fps and the broadheads fly great. I highly recommend them.

Quick Reply: Hellrazor vs. G5 Montec????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.