Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 BACK TO XX78-GOODBYE CARBON ?????? >

BACK TO XX78-GOODBYE CARBON ??????

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

BACK TO XX78-GOODBYE CARBON ??????

Old 09-07-2007, 03:55 AM

Default BACK TO XX78-GOODBYE CARBON ??????

HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE WENT BACK TOO SHOOTING ALUMINUM ARROWS? AND WHY DID YA DITCH CARBONS??
Old 09-07-2007, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: BACK TO XX78-GOODBYE CARBON ??????

I CANNOT imagine going back to aluminum arrows. I was sold on carbon(gold tip) when I changed both arrows(from aluminum) AND sight and had a arrow sink 3" into a gum tree from 15 yards. It took me 3-4 hours to dig it out and it was good as new! Try THAT with aluminum arrows. Also,I have shot 3-4 deer with same arrow(different blades of course)with all passthrus.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would not switch back. I love the carbon arrows.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am another one that cannot imagine why anyone would switch back to aluminum[:-]
Old 09-08-2007, 10:30 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: ar34muzzyman

HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE WENT BACK TOO SHOOTING ALUMINUM ARROWS? AND WHY DID YA DITCH CARBONS??
are you having problems with carbons?
Old 09-10-2007, 08:46 PM
Fork Horn

I switched from carbon to aluminum because I like shooting bent up arrows, I like replacing them all the time and I don't need faster more accurate arrows with better penatration. I especially like camo aluminum because after shooting them and missing my target they blend right so nobody can ever find them again. I've spent over $1000 for my bow and set up so I could get my bent aluminum arrows to fly around trees and to give the critters I'm shooting at a chance to get crippled instead of dead. I also don't like the fact that if I rake my release accross a few carbon arrows in a quiver, a buck might think I'm rattling and come closer to take a look. That would never happen with aluminum arrows thank goodness. lol If you believe all this, send me a pm and I'll tell ya about some magic arrows I've got for sale, they're made of wood and are even better than aluminum.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:26 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: wack

I switched from carbon to aluminum because I like shooting bent up arrows, I like replacing them all the time and I don't need faster more accurate arrows with better penatration. I especially like camo aluminum because after shooting them and missing my target they blend right so nobody can ever find them again. I've spent over $1000 for my bow and set up so I could get my bent aluminum arrows to fly around trees and to give the critters I'm shooting at a chance to get crippled instead of dead. I also don't like the fact that if I rake my release accross a few carbon arrows in a quiver, a buck might think I'm rattling and come closer to take a look. That would never happen with aluminum arrows thank goodness. lol If you believe all this, send me a pm and I'll tell ya about some magic arrows I've got for sale, they're made of wood and are even better than aluminum.
I have some top quality port cedar that are awesome arrows for my recurves. Dead quiet.

My friend if your bending up arrows that much, you got something else going on. Like missing your target way too much. Have you ever put a set of carbons on a spine tester?

Old 09-11-2007, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

My friend if your bending up arrows that much, you got something else going on. Like missing your target way too much. Have you ever put a set of carbons on a spine tester?

LOL My friend, I don't ever miss my target. I use 1" sticker dots and shoot 1 arrow at 1 dot, never shoot 2 arrows at the same spot, that wrecks even carbon arrows. I started with aluminum. Didn't always have the best targets, I've bent more than a few arrows just pulling them out of my targets.My 1st dozen aluminums lasted about 1 month before they were all bent up. I switched to cabons before my first year hunting. I have 1 carbon arrow that's about 5 years old and has killed at least 6 deer, will be arrow #1 this year. I've never lost a carbon practising and have lost more carbons hunting than I've broken. 7 Years of bow hunting I average 4 deer per year.
I use Easton Axis arrows and have abused them in many ways and they keep right on working, have been much cheaper in the long run.
The author of this string I believe is looking to reduce his draw weight so he can keep shooting? Aluminum may have more KE right off he bow, but will not have more KE down range with a 30-40 lbs draw weight. IMHO a small diameter carbon with the correct spine will give him better performance down range. With lower draw weight, getting the correct arrow matched up to the bow and shooter is more important than ever. I wouldn't use any 4" vanes.
One product I tested that might be of interest here is the FOB. Replaces vanes but you need a good drop away rest. With the right arrow, the FOB's will get every ounce of down range energy out of that arrow. See my post in archery equiptment reviews. Otherwise I'd sugest 2.25" Quik Spin vanes or 2" Blazer or 2" QS Speed Hunters. (my tests rank them in that order after FOB's)
Old 09-11-2007, 09:51 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: wack
7 Years of bow hunting I average 4 deer per year.
Wow, you didn't tell methat. 7 whole years huh. 4 deer a year.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree; I have no confidence in carbon arrows. I tried one 3-D season with ACC's and was not impressed and retuned for XX 78's.

Quick Reply: BACK TO XX78-GOODBYE CARBON ??????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.