Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Thermocell

Old 09-18-2007, 03:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Thermocell

Rest assured if a Bear can smell a Thermacell he can most certainly smell you. I always use a Thermacell Bear hunting. Last Bear I killed was 450# and scored 20 13/16. Better to be able to sit still and not worry about those biting insects

Dan
Old 09-19-2007, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thermocell

ORIGINAL: NavyDeerHunter

Careful or not, my guess is that he smelled you and not the thermocell. The thermocell does give off the very slightest of a scent, but I believe it's gone before it gets close to the ground. May sound silly, but I think the scent from a human is "heavier" if you will...than that from a thermocell and more likely to make it to the ground.
Could be too that he got some scent from you when you walked in and mistakenly touched a tree or branch.

ORIGINAL: ffmike

Has anyone who uses a thermocell ever ben busted by an animal. I thought they were sent free. I was in Canada last week bear hunting and decided to use my thermocell (first time using it) because themesquiteos could have carried me away.After it warmed up I could smell it, but I decided to keep it runnining and give it more time. I wish I had'nt. I had a mature bear, around the 350-400lbs range walk within 10ft of my stand downwind. I watched him lift his head and smell the air and then turn around and walk back the way he came. It could have been me that he smelled but I doubt it, I am very careful about controlling my sent. I was just curious if anyone has hadsimilar experiences using the thermocell.
I don't think he smelled "you", or he wouldn't of just walked away!! He probably smelled the odor from the Therma-cell unit and it was foreign to that area, and hejust got nervous and decided it was better to walk off.
I'd go right back to that area and try to set-up a little different. It's obvious that the wind was blowingin th wrong directionor swirling, for hi,m to pick up the odor.