Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

piston points

Old 08-10-2007, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default piston points

this is probably the umpteenth time this has been posted but i think the piston point bh's look like a better design than the rage's any input??
Old 08-10-2007, 03:18 PM

Default RE: piston points

Just bought rage 2bladebroadheads.Didnt even know about the piston points till today.They look good and a pretty smartdesign.Dont like the way the rubberband work on the piston points though.On the site he said it relies on the hair to pull the rubberband off.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

The tip pushing back on the blades open the blades up and the bands slide off. If they don't slide they'll break. With the design it would seem impossible for the heads not to open.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeh.. he should have worded it different on the video i dont think it relies on the hair to remove the band.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think he shouldn't have said a word about how the band is removed and just says about the hair so people wouldn't think it's an issue. As soon as the tip makes contact the blades are deployed fully.

This is where marketing plays a big part. I personally think this broadhead has a much better design than the Rage and if they'd put the money in like the manufacturer of the Rage we'd be hearing more about these heads.

Instead of relying on the shoulder of the blade to force open the blades this broadhead uses the tip pushing back to force the blades into position and they stay that way until after exit. On angled shots the blades would work th same way as from straight on. This has always been deficiency with mechanicals that kept me from using them.

I'd like to see a slow mo of the Rage on an angled shot. Unless both blades are tied in to open together even if only 1 shoulder is in contact I'd think that you could have a late deployment on an angled shot.

darbz18, do you know if this is true or not?

Another good point is that on a shot that does not go the whole way through the animal the blades reverse direction for removal.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:06 PM
Fork Horn

Look at some of the holes on angled shots with the Rage! I don't think you're getting late deployment.

There's a reason there is such a buzz about the Rage. It's leaving entrance and exit holes that no other broadhead has ever done.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: annika3

Look at some of the holes on angled shots with the Rage! I don't think you're getting late deployment.

There's a reason there is such a buzz about the Rage. It's leaving entrance and exit holes that no other broadhead has ever done.
Yes but piston point 3-blade have the same cutting diameter as rage 3-blade andIMO have a better more convincing design, bu dont get me wrong ill probably be shooting rage 2-blades this year.