Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Rubber Boots?

Old 08-30-2007, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rubber Boots?

Gimp, for rubber boots, I've used the 800/1200/1600 and this year I bought the 2000 Alpha Burly, which I have not used as yet.
What I can tell you is even when I wore the 1600 insulated boot my toes got quite coldduring extreme cold weather here. I added an insole and it helped a whole lot.
I'm yet to knowhow the 2000 will work this year.
I was however really tempted to buy the Mock Woody Max, as I've heard good things about them, but I've not used them before, unfortunately.
I find the Burly's to be quite acceptable in weight, asit's hard for me to wear a boot that's heavy.
I heard recently about the Cabelas Inferno, a buddy of mine got himself a pair and said he immediately felt the heat when trying the boot on, just another boot to look at.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: huntboy3181

lacrosse alphaburly's are the way to go..you can get them in a wide range of insulations depending on where and when you hunt and they are realy really tough..i love em..
you are right..
best place to buy them is BOOTBOX..
use phone no. as they dont show all their 60,000 boots on site..
i just got unisulated alpha burly sports for 49 dollars and 5 dollars shipping....
Old 08-30-2007, 06:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ampahunter

Gimp, for rubber boots, I've used the 800/1200/1600 and this year I bought the 2000 Alpha Burly, which I have not used as yet.
What I can tell you is even when I wore the 1600 insulated boot my toes got quite coldduring extreme cold weather here. I added an insole and it helped a whole lot.
I'm yet to knowhow the 2000 will work this year.
I was however really tempted to buy the Mock Woody Max, as I've heard good things about them, but I've not used them before, unfortunately.
I find the Burly's to be quite acceptable in weight, asit's hard for me to wear a boot that's heavy.
I heard recently about the Cabelas Inferno, a buddy of mine got himself a pair and said he immediately felt the heat when trying the boot on, just another boot to look at.

SOCKS are most imporatant thing in your boot..
you may be a person that has sweaty feet..
i carry a extra pair of socks and change them if my feet feel cold..
use nothing but merlino wool..more wool the better...
rubber does not breath so you have to change your socks..

we used to drive deer in our crew..
i went thru 2 pairs of socks before noon,i always changed then 3 times...

big difference it makes.....
Old 08-30-2007, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

[/quote]
SOCKS are most imporatant thing in your boot..
you may be a person that has sweaty feet..
i carry a extra pair of socks and change them if my feet feel cold..
use nothing but merlino wool..more wool the better...
rubber does not breath so you have to change your socks..

we used to drive deer in our crew..
i went thru 2 pairs of socks before noon,i always changed then 3 times...

big difference it makes.....
[/quote]

I'm thinking it's more a circulation problem, donno.I wear the merlino wool sock along with the Under Armour coldgear boot sock, and sometimes slip in some footwarmers and still I suffer approaching the fourth hour watch.
My fingers are fine andI wear only the Camo Skinz, sometimes tucked in my Artic Shield hand warmer, but man my toes, ugh!
Old 08-30-2007, 08:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

i assume you do lot of sitting.
how cold does your weather get when your feet are cold?
yes, circulation could be problem too?

with all technology we have today, they still cant make a way to keep your feet toasty warm.
nothing ruins your hunting more than COLD FEET..
Old 08-31-2007, 07:50 AM

I just bought a pair of rubber Wolverine hunting boots from sportsmansguide for $40. I have not tried them out walking around other than the yard but they are comfortable and 1000 gram of thinsulate so I know they'll be good for cold weather. I also have a pair of what you'd call boot blankets or insulators from Arctic Shield ($40). These will make the cold November hunting days in Minnesota where we could easily be in the teens much more bearable. When I get to stand or the blind,I slip the blankets over my boots. They are supposed to retain heat on their own but I always slip one heat pack into each over the toe of each boot and I can sit for 8 hours with my feet feeling nice and toasty before I add a new heat pack.

Socks are also key, as is a boot size one size too large for good air circulation. I wear a medium weight polypropelene sock under a much thicker and heavier wool sock and these will last me all day without changing.

Good luck.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sproulman

i assume you do lot of sitting.
how cold does your weather get when your feet are cold?
yes, circulation could be problem too?

with all technology we have today, they still cant make a way to keep your feet toasty warm.
nothing ruins your hunting more than COLD FEET..
I would say 90% of my hunts are from a blind or stand.
When the mercury falls to about minus 6C my toes starts to pain, I've even tried using a carpet between my boots and stand (platform), this helps, but doesn't solve my problem.
I hear ya on COLD FEET--my fingers, neck, ears are all OK, but my toes--and I still refuse to try those battery operates socks.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

that is real cold..
i would try electric socks,put them on after you get to your blind..
Old 09-02-2007, 07:04 AM
Spike

I just bought three pair LaCrosse on Friday.
For my youngest son: Regular green burley's (he's only 5 but tromps around the farm with me and his big brother and grandaddy alot in the winter and they are great boots for kids.
For my oldest Son: Burley 1,000 in Camo. He's 9 and these should do great this year for stand hunting with me.
For me: Alpha Burley 800 in Camo. These are replacing a 9 year old pair of Lacrosse Burleys that have been great boots but are about worn out.

I have found that you can't go wrong with LaCrosse.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:27 AM
Typical Buck

I've had the Cabelas' version of the Alpha's for a few years now and love them. The only difference b/t them and the LaCrosse's is the price.

Quick Reply: Rubber Boots?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.